Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Is there a way to auto reply a text message when receiving a (specific) text message or from a (specific) number?

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I've looked for such a pre-packaged app, but I haven't found one.

One could write such a thing with sufficient knowledge, patience and time. I keep meaning to do this, but just don't get around to it.

Running dbus-monitor, I see there's a flurry of dbus activity when a text comes in. E.g., if you watch path=/CommHistoryModel; interface=com.nokia.commhistory; member=eventsAdded the data includes both the source phone number and the text body of the incoming SMS.

This isn't the only dbus message that could be parsed for the information, just the first one I saw. A bunch of other activity stores the text, pops up a notification and adds events to [whatever the right name of the page that shows events].

Schturman's Express SMS script has code for sending an SMS that could be "borrowed" for this to avoid re-doing the already done.

Some additional fun could be piping the info to eliza and torturing a particular, shall we say "friend," with a chatbot and see how long it takes to figure it out -- but I regress. (Not digress in this case, regress.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Tags
auto reply