Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by alphatool View Post
How about something like:

More great news on the tablet front. A new team is working with our tablet OEM to make a new batch of tablets. They will run the full sailfish OS including Alien Dalvik and have some small improvements over the original Jolla tablet, like a better USB socket. We know how disappointed you all were to not get a tablet from the original batch, so if any of our Indiegogo backers buys one of the new tablets we will move you to the front of the refund list.

Positive and forward looking without rewriting history, and something thrown in for the backers who were let down.
Nonono. That is what I'm talking about. Jolla using the project to save their bad project and even worse refund wait. What they should do If they want to include jolla. Donate money to project directly "If anyone of our tablet backers supporting YouYota we donate xxx dollar to the project". Or buy 5000 tablet and sell for 2nd refund price. Either way. The project should be supported. Not jolla.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-02 at 13:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
chenliangchen, btw, do you have any sw sources of this? like drivers and etc? would be helpful in porting any other os to this tablet.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
chenliangchen, btw, do you have any sw sources of this? like drivers and etc? would be helpful in porting any other os to this tablet.
It should be possible. I can't 100% guarantee, but I can ask for relevant resources upon request. As I'm not a software developer, can you give me the list of info and SW required for it? I will check with those parties see how much I can do.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
@chenliangchen: I know its going to be a very long shot, but after this tablet is launched, will there be any chance of you making a phone, the size of N9 or Jolla 1, nothing bigger than that that would run Sailfish straight out of the box instead of us having to buy a device that is almost not available or is quite expensive and then pay for the software and install it ourselves and pray that everything works..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
We where asking Chen about N950 revival

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Yeah Chen's already said he wants to try to make something Lauta-ish. And if that happens I imagine a lot of us (myself included) will throw quite a lot of money at a kickstarter for it!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
It should be possible. I can't 100% guarantee, but I can ask for relevant resources upon request. As I'm not a software developer, can you give me the list of info and SW required for it? I will check with those parties see how much I can do.
full kernel tree used to bulid android part would be very helpful.
anzhen4_mrd8_w_64 sources

You can look into firmware files we have: https://mega.nz/#F!WRYTSTCT!GH3LESa5...S1fQA!yN4AwIaB

and check if you can get sources of it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Yeah Chen's already said he wants to try to make something Lauta-ish. And if that happens I imagine a lot of us (myself included) will throw quite a lot of money at a kickstarter for it!
I wish we could get also "modern" and opensource meego system with harmattan-like U

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
full kernel tree used to bulid android part would be very helpful.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I strongly suspect that - as the tablet is Intel based - that it would use a tiny bit more standard chips (e.g.: GPU is an intel inhouse, for which they pay Mesa driver developpers) and more standard APIs (does this thing use ACPI and UEFI ?) and thus we could be closer to getting an upstream vanilla kernel support ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
@chenliangchen: I know its going to be a very long shot, but after this tablet is launched, will there be any chance of you making a phone, the size of N9 or Jolla 1, nothing bigger than that that would run Sailfish straight out of the box instead of us having to buy a device that is almost not available or is quite expensive and then pay for the software and install it ourselves and pray that everything works..
Let me answer your question step by step:

- Making a phone: Yes, that's my plan for this year to make a modern qwerty phone with the keyboard similar to the moto keyboard mod. But that's a lot jobs involved. I will talk more in another reply.

- With size similar to N9 or Jolla phone: Difficult. If I have a company with hundreds of engineers like samsung or sony, then it's possible. For the current resource I have, I have to outsource a lot of development. And no one is actually doing a decent hardware in this size. You mentioned sailfish os. Which means it has to be qualcomm soc, there is nothing available for this size unless we develop by ourselves.

- Preload with sailfish os: This will involve Jolla's work. We need to find the most cost effective way of delivering it. Sailfish (full include commercial parts) is not free and requires front engineering work, they are all cost.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-07-03 at 17:43. Reason: typo

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os