Active Topics

Notices

Status: initial basic development release v0.1 is in Extras-Dev, this is currently a testing version with limited functionality.

mFakeCaller is a very simple application that fakes an incoming call - for those awkward situations when you just need some excuse to flee! Or to make your mate think his hot girlfriend is calling you a lot, so he breaks up with her in a rage of jealousy and you can chance your arm with her on the rebound. "He said what? Hmm I heard he's been drinking a lot lately. You know, he never really understood you.. but i do... " </sleaze>

Warning: Repeated use of mFakeCaller will probably keep you out of heaven.

This project has been sitting around instarted for a while. As it's been a lazy Sunday today I decided to get started with it. I now have the initial test version 0.1 complete and ready for testing.

Please note as this is the very first version of the project, and indeed my very first project written in QT C++, it's probably got more bugs than an entomology convention. Running it could make your N900 break down in a cold sweat and cry for mama. If you are unsure, please wait for version 1.0 which will be the first confident problem free release.

It's pretty simple to use, there's two modes to it. Once installed you can click the icon to run and you'll get a standard "Private number" spoof call with call tone and rumble. Clicking the answer button greys it out, changes it to a speaker button, and starts the 'call' timer.

The application also accepts parameters, that way you can choose the ringtone, caller image and caller number/name/message - making it much more convincing. For example, you could run:

/usr/bin/mfakecaller "Answer me fool!" "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/mr_t_loves_nuts.jpg"

Find out more about setting up the fake call screen here

Find out how to schedule the fake call here

If the answer button isn't clicked the app automagically closes after 20 seconds. Reject/End closes the app right away.

There's a few things to note about this initial test release:
  • Has very little built in scheduling of it's own, but you can easily use a scheduling app like the excellent Alarmed to schedule it. Much easier for me anyway than coding it
  • Shows in portrait mode only, no landscape love for you Mr "It's not a phone, it's a mobile computer"
  • I've put a gears icon on the right top button where in the real UI there is a keypad icon as I thought about making it a settings button instead... may keep/might not..
  • My art sucks therefore the app icon sucks, if anyone would like to make a better looking one...
  • No entry is made in the call log for the fake call

If that sounds like something that you might have fun with then please go ahead and give it a go

Ofcourse I'd appreciate any help spotting/fixing bugs, making improvements, and creating enhancements

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-11-05 at 17:26.

The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
nice one .... will give this one a try!!

The Following User Says Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
"Answer me fool!", laughed hysterically. Hahaha

The Following User Says Thank You to joshv06 For This Useful Post:
men,i have always thought about such apps,.really niccee

The Following User Says Thank You to babyshamie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
eagerly awaiting version 1.0.thank you

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
sorry but doesnt this get the same response as not answering a phone and clicking reject.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Ofcourse I'd appreciate any help spotting/fixing bugs, making improvements, and creating enhancements
Not that I can think of any use for that app, but wouldn't it be more convincing if you played some audio that sounds like the fake caller talking through the speaker? With some pause in between to answer/comment. That would make it much more convincing. Maybe you can record the audio on your own or find something on freesound.org. Bonus points for an option to select both male and female voices. Extra bonus points for different choices of talk (calm, loud, shouting, hectic, ...).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
DId you use the Nokia Qt SDK to create this? How has your experience with that been?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by bayernhan View Post
sorry but doesnt this get the same response as not answering a phone and clicking reject.
I don't think you understand what this app is trying to do.

To kojacker, this sounds like a nice app. It would be good to have a GUI to pick a person from your contacts list to pick up the name and image, although you also need a way to type that info in manually for people not in your contacts.

For the time being, I would be happier for the app to not write into the call log. If you ever do get to that point, I would suggest making it optional.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
just intall it.and i was shocked!!!!!!!!!!!

there is no setting for time of call??
no sound when start the call??

no image settings? no contact no settings? no contact name settings?it would be great if call is visible in call log too.then it will be a perfact fake call

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholes For This Useful Post: