Active Topics

Notices

I prepared and attached a script file that enables debug logging while the smscon daemon processes sms comands. To use this debug script you need the ability to become root. Usage:

1) copy the debug script somewhere onto the N900 device and name it "smscon1.sh".
2) start xterm
3) become root
4) change directory to the folder containing the debug script.
5) enter command:
Code:
chmod +x smscon1.sh
6) enter command:
Code:
./smscon1.sh
7) follow the instructions given by debug script.
8) go to 6) in case you want to repeat debugging.
9) post the generated smscon-debug.log file here that I can analyse it (it is anonymized).

I hope that this will help us to find out reason of twice sent SMS.
Attached Files
File Type: txt smscon1.sh.txt (1.3 KB, 72 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
...Should grep smscon be root?
Thank you for information. Running grep as user is ok. The output looks fine. It seems there is only one daemon and this is ok. The reason for twice sms must be something different. Please try the debug script I supplied in previous post.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Can't test with two phones at the moment (master number is a friend's), but if it helps here's the log from the editor of yesterday's test.
Code:
2012-03-19 14:36:11[SMSCON] INFO: Daemon smscon_daemon requested to start.
2012-03-19 14:36:13[SMSCON] INFO: Daemon smscon_daemon started [PID=1701].
2012-03-19 14:36:26[DAEMON] CRITICAL: smscon_daemon is starting.
2012-03-19 14:36:28[DAEMON] INFO: Successfully loaded "/opt/smscon/smscon_config" file.
2012-03-19 14:36:28[DAEMON] INFO: Found 1 IMSI code(s) in "/opt/smscon/smscon_code" file.
2012-03-19 14:36:29[DAEMON] INFO: Authorized IMSI code found.
2012-03-19 14:36:29[DAEMON] INFO: Phone battery charge is 55%, charging.
2012-03-19 14:36:30[DAEMON] INFO: GPS query interval is 120 sec.
2012-03-19 14:36:30[DAEMON] INFO: Keyboard slider change detection is off.
2012-03-19 14:36:30[DAEMON] INFO: Battery status change detection is off.
2012-03-19 14:36:32[DAEMON] INFO: (CHECKHOST) Checkhost is off.
2012-03-19 14:36:32[DAEMON] INFO: smscon auto-loads at boot. OK. 
2012-03-19 23:23:03[DAEMON] INFO: Received smscon command [Owner] via SMS from +447822xxxxxx (the master) . Acknowledge message disabled.
2012-03-19 23:23:04[DAEMON] INFO: Phone battery charge is 74%, discharging.
2012-03-19 23:23:04[DAEMON] WARNING: (SILENCE) Silencing is disabled: Phone probably not silent while controlled remotely.
2012-03-19 23:23:05[DAEMON] INFO: File "/opt/smscon/smscon_script.log" now deleted.
2012-03-19 23:23:05[DAEMON] INFO: Script file (/opt/smscon/smscon_script) executes in BG.
2012-03-19 23:23:26[DAEMON] ERROR: Failed to send SMS to "+447822xxxxxx".
2012-03-19 23:23:26[DAEMON] INFO: Message sending disabled by user setting (sms).
2012-03-19 23:33:33[SMSCON] INFO: Export to user setting file "/home/user/.smscon-editor/smscon_config" successful.
Device was rebooted and put on charge for 15 minutes at about 14:30.
I didn't access SMSCON or SMSCON Editor, at all that day.
There's an ERROR in there!

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
IIRC, when I've reported it last time, I also mentioned about error about "failed to send sms", despite fact that sms was send successfully. Also, despite 15 minutes time between re-try, another sms was sent instantly.

This may be the bugger

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
... There's an ERROR in there!
Yes, and as Estel says this is a hint to the bug. I compared version 0.7 code with version 0.9 code but didn't found anything obvious. It would help me a lot if you or someone else who is capable to reproduce the twice-sms problem could help me by running the debug script I provided in earlier post.

The Following User Says Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
I'm trying to provide some useful log from start, but the funniest thing is that now I'm unable to reproduce the problem anymore. (no matter if I use script to create debug log, or not). Yet, when I was hit by the bug, it looked exactly same as for sixwheeledbeast.
---

During testing, I noticed two small glitches:

1. When "silence phone on first command" is set, it works great, but vibration isn't disabled. Could it be also implemented? At the same time, it could also disable indicator LED (so, no way for "thief" to notice phone activity, without directly using it). Is it doable without too much hassle?

2. When "reply messages" is set to "none" (thus, no "reply on battery status", "reply on each command", nor "reply on keyboard open"), smscon doesn't send any messages *at all*. So, basically, deamon is working and noticing commands, yet, it doesn't answer. Only one way to make it working as it should, is to set "reply messages" to SMS, email, or both, yet, *uncheck* battery status, each command, and keyboard open (if we don't want them).

Should it be working this way? If yes, what's the point of having daemon working, yet unable to send location/status/whatever?
---

Thumbs up for working on it great application, thanks a lot

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm trying to provide some useful log from start, but the funniest thing is that now I'm unable to reproduce the problem anymore. (no matter if I use script to create debug log, or not). Yet, when I was hit by the bug, it looked exactly same as for sixwheeledbeast.
Did you change your telecom provider before error disappeared?

Hopefully at least sixwheeledbeast can reproduce it.

1. When "silence phone on first command" is set, it works great, but vibration isn't disabled. Could it be also implemented? At the same time, it could also disable indicator LED (so, no way for "thief" to notice phone activity, without directly using it). Is it doable without too much hassle?
Seems doable. We keep this in mind for the wish-list.

2. When "reply messages" is set to "none" (thus, no "reply on battery status", "reply on each command", nor "reply on keyboard open"), smscon doesn't send any messages *at all*. So, basically, deamon is working and noticing commands, yet, it doesn't answer. Only one way to make it working as it should, is to set "reply messages" to SMS, email, or both, yet, *uncheck* battery status, each command, and keyboard open (if we don't want them).

Should it be working this way? If yes, what's the point of having daemon working, yet unable to send location/status/whatever?
Yes, this behavior is by design. smscon's verbosity is up to the user's setting. What you configure is what you get. Note that GPS tracking has separate setting to control sending of GPS related notifications. So you can turn all reply methods off as you explained and just leave GPS replies on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yablacky View Post
Did you change your telecom provider before error disappeared?
Nope.

Originally Posted by yablacky View Post
Note that GPS tracking has separate setting to control sending of GPS related notifications. So you can turn all reply methods off as you explained and just leave GPS replies on.
Are you sure about that one? If reply messages is set to "none", there is no place to configure, how GPS location should be sent (SMS, mail, or both). Similarly, during my tests, I wasn't able to get location response, when reply messages was set to "none".

Ho ever, take this with a grain of salt, as it may be user fault. To simplify "debugging" (by filtering out GPS fix related problems), after 1st fail, I switched to more straightforward command (battery status) for testing purposes. Will try to re-test that one soon.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
If your telecom provider did not change it seems to be a timings problem (although that does not explain why it does not happen in 0.7 ). I assume others still have the problem and I hope they help me to find it (hello sixwheeledbeast ).

The Following User Says Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Sorry, I haven't forgotten.
I will get back to you when I next see my friend to borrow his N900 (master number). Haven't got another phone to test with ATM.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post: