Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
interim tenchar:
Australia 2 200.00 EUR
Austria 7 1030.00 EUR
Brazil 1 100.00 EUR
Bulgaria 1 250.00 EUR
Canada 7 1600.00 EUR
Finland 6 860.00 EUR
France 10 1320.00 EUR
Germany 31 5760.00 EUR
Japan 2 200.00 EUR
Netherlands 4 380.00 EUR
Norway 1 100.00 EUR
Poland 3 240.00 EUR
Portugal 1 150.00 EUR
Romania 1 50.00 EUR
Slovakia 2 250.00 EUR
Slovenia 2 200.00 EUR
Spain 1 30.00 EUR
Sweden 2 270.00 EUR
Switzerland 4 1970.00 EUR
UK 7 1170.00 EUR
USA 15 3320.00 EUR
total: 19450.00 EUR

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
for the record: we calculate 5% .. 25% of "false positives" aka "fraud"

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Just btw, I haven't made my preorder/donation yet, but I will be in the near future, hopefully sometime within the next couple of weeks. (I have a situation where the amount of money I have that isn't tied up in certificate-of-deposit accounts is smaller than the amount I would need to send for the preorder, at the moment, and I want to avoid closing any of those and loosing out on the interest those are accumulating unless I really have to.) If there is an urgency to when the donations come in though, someone should let me know and I will free up the relevant funds sooner rather than later.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Pre-announcing the "plus one digit" challenge

for reference:
> 1 buyer: 3000 EUR
> 10 buyers: 1500 EUR
> 100 buyers: 590 EUR
> 1000 buyers: 490 EUR
> 10k buyers: 390 EUR
> 100k buyers: 290 EUR
> 1 Mio buyers: 240 EUR
> 10 Mio buyers: 199 EUR
Rationale: we calculated (and hoped for) 200 interested customers, to reach the goal in end of January. Now it seems we reach it tomorrow (after 5 days, somebody should check if that's any Guinness record) and it's barely even November, and ~ 1/20 of the time we anticipated. It would be outright silly and rude to our followers to stop the momentum just because we felt scared by the support we received (again thanks a megaton for that! AMAZING!) . So if we reached to the finish line 20 times faster than any of us hoped for, then maybe it's just sane to aim on ten times the size we originally planned? What do you think? I bet this community can do that.

link to follow-up post

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-05 at 12:41.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
To get 1000 we have to link in all major tech forum. Be visible in Facebook, set up some comparisons and launch some Thunderclaps. It won't be pretty but it's doable. Maybe create some media packages and send to all tech blogs so correct in will be visible. Or that might not be the goal?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
[...]
Strange that China and Russia aren't in the list.
[...]
India's absence is surprising to me. I thought there were quite a few Maemo/Openmoko folks there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Pre-announcing the "plus one digit" challenge

for reference:

Rationale: we calculated (and hoped for) 200 interested customers, to reach the goal in end of January. Now it seems we reach it tomorrow (after 5 days, somebody should check if that's any Guinness record) and it's barely even November, and ~ 1/20 of the time we anticipated. It would be outright silly and rude to our followers to stop the momentum just because we felt scared by the support we received (again thanks a megaton for that! AMAZING!) . So if we reached to the finish line 20 times faster than any of us hoped for, then maybe it's just sane to aim on ten times the size we originally planned? What do you think? I bet this community can do that.
I think it's a good idea to keep the campaign open, and some new, reasonable goals could be formed, so in case these goals are not achieved, the whole project will not collapse. The goal could be e.g. "we aim at producing 1000 phones to reduce costs". How would it change the project's situation if you collected 50K or 100K instead of 25K EUR? But, it also seems that around 10K EUR is made from big donations (>=1000 EUR), so the total amount of collected money may not show the real people's interest. Anyway, I wish you success

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omicron For This Useful Post:
Neither India, Russia, or China are in the list of 'supported countries' and need extra work from potential donors and/or goldelico. Maybe that's an explanation.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
So if we got to the finish line 20 times faster than any of us hoped for, then maybe it's just sane to aim on ten times the size we originally planned? What do you think
i THINK you mean, open the preorders as if there were 2000 prospective buyers, but im not sure.

if it is what you mean, i think you should still open preorders with the expectation of 200 purchases, and then issue refunds and accept more preorders at the lower price.
its likely that the vast majority of all possible interested parties were beating down your doors already.

because of the super-hobbyist nature of this project, i dont expect that youll get even twice as much additional interest in the last 90% of the allotted time, let alone ten times as much.

{of course i would LOVE to be wrong, but if you set the bar too high in overreaction to well-deserved success, and then i dont get Literally The Best Phone Ever Made, my sense of self-entitlement will telepathically strangle you to death}

also, in the wake of wild success, are there any new developments or insights on The RAM Question?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Or that might not be the goal?
The goal is to troop together more individuals who are willing to confirm that they will (probably) buy a device once those are available, by donating an amount that makes us think they will want to claim it (as rebate) as soon as possible. For us that means: we can ask suppliers about 1500 instead of 200 items. Which means we can get much better offers for everything. We don't *need* much more donations to do what we promised to do, but we can do a better job with more resources (monetary as well as customer-count-wise) and more reassurance. Also keep in mind that we'll pay back unused donations should the project ever fail for whatever reason. The more donations the lower the individual and over-all risk and the better the final pricetag.
So we don't go out of our way and do things we don't like to do, just to 'reach that new goal' (see next). But we really would appreciate when even more than the 200 customers we hoped for will support us in a tangible way. This thing could become a chain reaction that makes big business listen up. :-) Also please notice that we don't announce a further goal like phase-IV and any achievements that can get done by reaching it. The devices will come true with reaching phase-III. It's a contiguous process from phase-III onwards. Nevertheless Nikolaus' statement about 1000 units / month for next higher league still stands.

my 2 cents, comments solicited
cheers
jOERG
/j

link to follow-up post

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-05 at 12:44.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!