Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
While it would be nice to have routing in the same app, I don't want to duplicate code -- we already have routing in Poor Maps with a similar Python plugin interface. If want to see how it works, take a look at the Digitransit router, which is a Finnish (esp. Helsinki) public transport router.

https://github.com/otsaloma/poor-map...master/routers
Thanks for the info.
Just for me to understand it completely: Would you then propose to use/add a search provider that knows e.g. the bus/train stations and then a corresponding routing provider (probably coming from the same backend) for the routing / journey planning?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
Just for me to understand it completely: Would you then propose to use/add a search provider that knows e.g. the bus/train stations and then a corresponding routing provider (probably coming from the same backend) for the routing / journey planning?
For the Digitransit router in Poor Maps, I have also added the corresponding geocoder that knows the names of all stops.

https://github.com/otsaloma/poor-map...digitransit.py

But note that usually you don't need to know the stop names. Routers usually work with coordinates and if you know the address or some other place name, any geocoder will convert that to coordinates. And if stops exist in OpenStreetMap data, then OpenStreetMap-based geocoders do find them too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
For the Digitransit router in Poor Maps, I have also added the corresponding geocoder that knows the names of all stops.

https://github.com/otsaloma/poor-map...digitransit.py

But note that usually you don't need to know the stop names. Routers usually work with coordinates and if you know the address or some other place name, any geocoder will convert that to coordinates. And if stops exist in OpenStreetMap data, then OpenStreetMap-based geocoders do find them too.
Right, thanks again.

Just out of curiosity, do you plan to merge pan transit and poor maps? That way we could also benefit from poor maps visualization of the bus stop points on the map, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you plan to merge pan transit and poor maps? That way we could also benefit from poor maps visualization of the bus stop points on the map, right?
A map view for Pan Transit is planned -- to show stops, routes and vehicles. There's no synergy there with Poor Maps, so no merge.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Thanks for nice and useful application. 2x thanks for providers API.

I have a request - can filtered line configuration be saved into favorites?

Use case - convenience to quickly check multiple buses/trolleys/trams on a busy stop that match my destination. I could then bookmark same stop multiple times with different filters.

Poor mans presets for best way to get from A to Z.

The Following User Says Thank You to iceskateclog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iceskateclog View Post
I have a request - can filtered line configuration be saved into favorites?
Yes, that's how it already works. Filters are not saved for stops, but are saved for favorites. Just add a favorite and after that filter, it should be saved.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Yes, that's how it already works. Filters are not saved for stops, but are saved for favorites. Just add a favorite and after that filter, it should be saved.
Got it, it works this way!
Filtered lines in stop and added to favorites, expected to see the same filter. Should have tried to apply filter again.

The Following User Says Thank You to iceskateclog For This Useful Post: