Hi,

I just got a 64GB , black N9 from atgsm.com, and to my surprise it came a UK->US adapter in the package, because in the Nokia N9 box, there was as UK USB plug!!!!

How come? If the phone is not being sold in the UK, is there a UK plug in the box?

Unless, there are secret plans to release later.....?

I can post a picture for unbelievers

Cheers

P.

Originally Posted by phildudesnokia View Post
Hi,

I just got a 64GB , black N9 from atgsm.com, and to my surprise it came a UK->US adapter in the package, because in the Nokia N9 box, there was as UK USB plug!!!!

How come? If the phone is not being sold in the UK, is there a UK plug in the box?

Unless, there are secret plans to release later.....?

I can post a picture for unbelievers

Cheers

P.
Was the plug in the actual box itself? Was the box sealed?

Or was the plug a separate thing?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The UK USB plug does exist for the Lumia 800 and is most likely available separately, too.
But since the British Commonwealth used to be large, I'm sure some countries where the N9 is sold, use the same plug. Maybe your N9 is from one of these countries? What does the box (and the language of the quick start guide) say?

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
British plugs (BS 1363) are used in hell a lot of countries besides the UK:

The BS 1363 design is used in the United Kingdom and Ireland, Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Bahrain, UAE, Qatar, Yemen, Oman, Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar, Botswana, Ghana, Hong Kong, Jordan, Macau, Brunei, Malaysia, Singapore, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Iraq, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. BS 1363 is also standard in several of the former British Caribbean colonies such as Belize, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and Grenada. It is also used in Saudi Arabia in 230 V installations.
So the device can come from any of those places / was built for some of those markets. In addition to that, a very similar older British standard - BS 546 - is still widely used in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Nambia, South Africa, Hong Kong, Botswana, Israel, Singapore and Malaysia.

There is no British-targeted firmware available for the N9 so I guess your device was built for one of those target markets. The best way to know that is to check the product code under the micro-SIM tray and match it against the available firmwares.

P.S. All online stores selling the N9 in the UK claim that they are selling mainland euro version with an UK plug adapter, so quite similar to your situation but just in reverse.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
British plugs (BS 1363) are used in hell a lot of countries besides the UK:

So the device can come from any of those places / was built for some of those markets. In addition to that, a very similar older British standard - BS 546 - is still widely used in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Nambia, South Africa, Hong Kong, Botswana, Israel, Singapore and Malaysia.

There is no British-targeted firmware available for the N9 so I guess your device was built for one of those target markets. The best way to know that is to check the product code under the micro-SIM tray and match it against the available firmwares.

P.S. All online stores selling the N9 in the UK claim that they are selling mainland euro version with an UK plug adapter, so quite similar to your situation but just in reverse.
My N9 also came with a UK plug (and an extra UK-USA adapter thrown in by the retailer) but I didn't think, whoa, UK release?? I am aware of countries who use this 3-pin plug outside the UK, so I didn't think that much of it. Nice to have though!

Alot of N9 users praise the "Swipe UI" however I personally don't like it.
Its too simplified and I don't like the conflict between screen swipes between the UI and Applications (like Fruit Ninja).

Nevertheless, it has been "cloned" to the iPhone by the Jailbreaking community.

And a similar attempt has been made with Android / MIUI ROM Theme.

...for anyone interested

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Alot of N9 users praise the "Swipe UI" however I personally don't like it.
Its too simplified and I don't like the conflict between screen swipes between the UI and Applications (like Fruit Ninja).

Nevertheless, it has been "cloned" to the iPhone by the Jailbreaking community.

And a similar attempt has been made with Android / MIUI ROM Theme.

...for anyone interested
Why would anyone clone Swipe? The only thing needed is to delete homescreens...

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????