Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
This thread is about the QA of the maemo.org repository (formerly known as "maemo extras"). Here we can discuss how the QA should be made better and more secure.

I think, that it is really difficult for an average user to find where he can vote for a program. Maybe he read anywhere how to enable extras testing but did not read further. So he does not know, that an application need votings to get into maemo.org repository.

A better solution would be a voting system directly tied into the application manager, where you can give a "thumb up" or a "thumb down" directly in a overview of installed applications from extras testing. Applications installed from maemo.org should have the "five star system".

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-02-19 at 15:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
I think tying things into the existing application manager would be tricky, but (completely off the top of my head) it seems that it should be possible to work out from the package database on the machine which installed packages are visible in the -testing repo, and not in the main -extras one. That would generate a list of candidate packages to give feedback on, and from there it's 'just' a matter of having the app log in to the QA and do the thumbs up/down operation.

Does anyone know whether there's a good API interface for doing that?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
A better solution would be a voting system directly tied into the application manager, where you can give a "thumb up" or a "thumb down" directly in a overview of installed applications from extras testing. Applications installed from maemo.org should have the "five star system".
The Extras Assistant installer Daniel Wilms is building does exactly that, allowing you to browse, install and rate apps from the same UI.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Please see the QA group proposal at MeeGo.com: http://wiki.meego.com/Proposal_for_a..._working_group