Active Topics

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Ok guys, quit bickering. This is not the time for fan boyism. Keferen has made some interesting observations. What we as a community should do is take this as constructive criticism and work to improve the device. Most of the points he mentioned are software based and can be improved by community.
Like for example, the video playing in the background: there is the open Video player for that. World Clocks available in the store, etc etc.
We can also help by filing bugs and hopefully Nokia wont mark it as 'WONTFIX'.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
Ok guys, quit bickering. This is not the time for fan boyism. Keferen has made some interesting observations. What we as a community should do is take this as constructive criticism and work to improve the device. Most of the points he mentioned are software based and can be improved by community.
Like for example, the video playing in the background: there is the open Video player for that. World Clocks available in the store, etc etc.
This isn't bickering men. I'm all for constructive criticism. Read my first post. That's how a device gets better. But that's not what's happening lot here. Just more nagging. Constructive criticism isn't complaining about swiping. What are you gonna do about that software issue? Stop swiping? That's what makes the N9 the N9. Let's fix what we can fix and if we're not satisfied with the results move on. But it's tiring seeing thread after thread of guys complaining about little things with no mind of moving forward. Not getting suckered into this anymore. Keep crying guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to dagee04 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by dagee04 View Post
This isn't bickering men. I'm all for constructive criticism. Read my first post. That's how a device gets better. But that's not what's happening lot here. Just more nagging. Constructive criticism isn't complaining about swiping. What are you gonna do about that software issue? Stop swiping? That's what makes the N9 the N9. Let's fix what we can fix and if we're not satisfied with the results move on. But it's tiring seeing thread after thread of guys complaining about little things with no mind of moving forward. Not getting suckered into this anymore. Keep crying guys.
Agreed. My point is that let us ignore the obvious trolls, but take their valid points.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Not from what I've been reading.
And others like Qgil/Elop/Qt dev show etc. have been vaguely hinting.
It seems like it may well stretch-up into what is basically smartphone territory.
There's no way Elop will allow WP7 to be equaled or eclipsed by another os. Look at the way he tried to bury Meego alive out of fear it will compete with his precious WP7. Of course there is always a chance Elop will be identified as a Microsoft mole and booted out but until that happens you can take it from me that Meltemi will be severely crippled in order not to compete with WP7.

Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
Most of the complaints leveled by Keferen are highly subjective and personal or very minor niggles just because it doesn't work exactly like the N900. It's like he meets a new girl and complain strenuously from A to Z that she's not like his mother...which will never happen because they are 2 different persons.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
There's no way Elop will allow WP7 to be equaled or eclipsed by another os. Look at the way he tried to bury Meego alive out of fear it will compete with his precious WP7. Of course there is always a chance Elop will be identified as a Microsoft mole and booted out but until that happens you can take it from me that Meltemi will be severely crippled in order not to compete with WP7.
Who knows, no-one knows anything yet...
I just want some solid freaking info about it all, the silence is deafening.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Other than that, the fact that unique N9 features like swiping, unibody which some Android & Iphone owners to take the plunge & buy an N9 knowing it's a dead OS(and takes a liking to N9), speaks something.

As for it looking gimmick-y, look at the fruit company & how it managed to market & sell millions, while reducing functions like USB on the go, SD card slot, bluetooth.

It's for those who would say -'Well here's something that's NOT like my Android/IOS/Symbian/Bada/WP7/etc phone' . N900 is part of the etc list

Last edited by eaglehelang; 2011-12-05 at 14:34.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Having checked the N9 for over a month, I can't agree more with OP Keferen where he talks about the inconsistency of the N9 user interface.

The interface designers' clear ignorance of things done so excellent in the N900 (out of the box and up till today not equalled by the competition) is really striking and personally I find it a relief to read somebody with feeling and understanding for user interfaces that goes beyond smoothly flowing icons and visual gimmicks, describing that feeling of one step forward, two steps back that comes with the N9.

Some classic records sound like: "get over it, the N900 was the niche nerd phone and the N9 was targeted to a different audience”

True only for the hardware. Not true for the Maemo 5 OS.

There is nothing nerdy or niche or developer grade about the OS. It is the most user friendly and consistent OS interface design ever seen on a mobile device of that size to date (even though WebOS gets close).

Unfortunately the Maemo 5 OS came packed in a single somewhat too “no compromise, "nerdy" hardware package that is the N900.

The N900 failed to appeal to all, including Nokia internals that mis-marketed it and it was not capable to sell itself to the iPhone crowd only by its sexy looks and lust triggering curves.

For the latter there really should have been a candy bar Maemo 5 N9 available, parallel to the N900, running the same interface like the N900 already in 2009 / 2010.

This device with capacitive multi-touch and default portret orientation screen would optionally upgrade to swipe interface soon after the release of the swipe based N10 (Harmattan) in 2011.

It would have sold so well throughout 2010 that by time of the eventual release of an N10 in 2011, a much larger base of fans and reviewers would have built up high levels of expectations towards ANY new release based on Maemo.

That would have made it unreasonable and out of the question for Nokia to take those very steps back in terms of interface logic, flow and consistency they really took with the actual N9, as they would have to pay dearly with bad reviews for trading in the beauty already present under the hood just for adding swipe and naturally evolved CPU / RAM power.

No wonder some scientists are still debating how the Egypt pyramids have ever been constructed and history keeps repeating itself over and over.

The essence of 2 year old concepts gathered in the N900 is hardly understood by it's own creators and users.

Again, thank you Keferen for the tremendous effort made. Unfortunately your recommendations are diamonds for the pigs. (new Nokia)

PS: what's the deal with the caps and paragraphs? I really hope you did not have to type the text on your N9 by some twist of fate.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sgentils View Post
i know, and i'm using one of these two. but still, i don't want to have to launch a new application when i want to see what time it is somewhere else. it should just be available in the built-in clock.
There is already a world clock / time zone converter built in
Code:
[user@RM696 user]$ date
Mon Dec  5 15:45:08 CET 2011
[user@RM696 user]$ date -u
Mon Dec  5 14:45:16 UTC 2011
[user@RM696 user]$ export TZ=EST
[user@RM696 user]$ date
Mon Dec  5 09:45:41 EST 2011
[user@RM696 user]$ unset TZ

The Following User Says Thank You to quantumboredom For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Having checked the N9 for over a month, I can't agree more with OP Keferen where he talks about the inconsistency of the N9 user interface..
But you were making sweeping statements about how useless it all is, long before you even had the N9.
So it's not as though you have much credibility, you've wanted to dislike it from day one.
And now that you've owned it for 1-month, you have the supposed 'proof' to turn around and go:
"Aha see, I've used it for X long, so I must know best!"

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-05 at 15:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: