Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Spotbros, a program similar to Whatsapp but with privacy respect and some improvements (Spots, Shouts and SBmails) is gaining popularity very quickly, specially in Spain. ¿Will gain the battle to Whatsapp? Hope yes, but when we have a version for Maemo. I told them by Twitter that Maemo community could help or even develop from nothing a Maemo version, hoping to get help from them, but they don't answer...

Did you know it? What's your opinion about it?

The Following User Says Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 181 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Bahrain
another whatsapp wannabe app ? thanks but we already have ebuddy xms

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Well, tell me, why ebuddy xms or the other 12 or more similar apps are a better option?

If you tell me about gtalk or something that uses and open standard protocol, ok, it's a great advantage to have compatibility with every device in the world and you have multiple clients to choose, but it's not the case of ebuddy xms and it seems that it won't gain the battle to whatsapp.

stiill with privacy baffles?

Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
stiill with privacy baffles?
Sorry for having my own opinion.

LINE app more popular than your 'Spotbros'

need a Guest House for temporary stay at Malaysia?
PM me

The Following User Says Thank You to baem90 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
Spotbros, a program similar to Whatsapp but with privacy respect and some improvements (Spots, Shouts and SBmails) is gaining popularity very quickly, specially in Spain. ¿Will gain the battle to Whatsapp? Hope yes, but when we have a version for Maemo. I told them by Twitter that Maemo community could help or even develop from nothing a Maemo version, hoping to get help from them, but they don't answer...

Did you know it? What's your opinion about it?
It's usually not a good idea to offer the assistance of others with out discussing it with them first. What contributions can you bring to the development of this app?

Also, whatsapp has shown the industry that Instant Messaging can be rather profitable and there will be many other companies wanting to take a share of this "New" field of communication. So it would not really be a productive use of the communities resources to start development for every wanna be contender that comes along now. /My$0.02

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
really Malkavian, do you think that besides all the info over the internet and to which many of your contacts may be using with their mobile phones: bank access online (you may probably use), facebook accounts, on line access to social security info, instant messaging services, movil acess services online (provided by your company), twitter, instagram, etc... anyone will bother to get your whatsapp contacts list to spam them? I'm still amazed by your concerns with instant messaging, anyways, if you think a new messaging company will provide support to maemo, all I can say is: good luck!!

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Istanbul,Turkey
I don't think that it's going to be popular arround the world.It depends on the country i think.For example in Turkey , there are a lot of people using WLM (still ...)

Originally Posted by baem90 View Post
LINE app more popular than your 'Spotbros'
Very interesting, but sadly their privacy policy (I have just readed it) is not acceptable for ME.

@MINKIN2 You are right. I was too enthusiastic assuming some developer here would like to have that app for Maemo and develop something about it.

@Dazsa Yes and will be more and more: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=whatsapp+spam

Whatsapp security and privacy policy sucks. Even facebook have better privacy policy and security.

Last edited by malkavian; 2012-11-09 at 19:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post: