Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
... I fired up XP under Parallels and was successful getting steps 1 - 9 above to work. XP asked me to install PC Suite, which I declined and it then let me connect using Mass Storage mode. After that, it was very smooth.
Have you upgraded to PR1.1? I already upgraded and I already have Ovi map insetalled, so I cannot test what is going on with all these postings saying it wont work...., somebody please chime in, if you have NOT installed Ovi maps. TIA,

bun

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Have you upgraded to PR1.1? I already upgraded and I already have Ovi map insetalled, so I cannot test what is going on with all these postings saying it wont work...., somebody please chime in, if you have NOT installed Ovi maps. TIA,

bun
Yes, I had already upgraded to PR1.1.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsbigs For This Useful Post:
@Moloch, gteadventure, hippo: Did you all follow exactly on the instructions? Like, did you reboot your desktop PC after installation of PC Suite? I found out it wont work without rebooting. If you all followed the instructions, and still it wont work, I run out of ideas, as I already have Ovi maps installed, I can test it. I am very glad that jsbigs did it after PR1.1, so upgrade should NOT be the problem of the above instructions. Somebody has NOT installed Ovi maps may try and see what is going on.

bun

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Ok so I think my problem is Vista 64 bit, as the step by step instructions don't work for me.

as anyone using 64 bit vista been able to download maps for the n900?

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Radom, Poland
I'm using Windows 7 x64 and I also can't download the maps

The Following User Says Thank You to Majestic12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wichita, KS
Bunanson's guide works for me. I just downloaded the maps and voices on a XP 32bit netbook. Since I was already charging my phone through USB, I just switch it to mass storage mode before firing up Ovi maps for the first time (I did not have PC Suite installed on this machine previously). The software actually detected that the data on my phone was outdated and prompt if I want to update it.

The Following User Says Thank You to hwong_pz For This Useful Post:
Ovi map is coming free to .... "The N97 mini, E72, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and the Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition", more details here, http://www.pcworld.com/article/18733...customers.html

There is a difference between Ovi map and Android turn by turn, same report,

"... In late 2009, Google started offering a free navigation service with turn-by-turn directions with the release of the Motorola Droid and Android OS 2.0. There are a couple of differentiators between Google Navigation and Ovi Maps, however. Ovi Maps requires no network connection for navigation so you'll save your phone's battery life and not be thrown off by cellular dead zones while on the road. Ovi Maps use something called "hybrid vector maps." According to Nokia, these maps are high quality, but less data intensive so they are actually stored on your phone when you download them...."

Bottom line, Nokia's one is better............if it does come to N900, eventually

bun

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Denmark
Well bunanson, your fine step by step did not work for me.
Could it really be because I am using Vista 32-bit?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Denmark
Hmm. Funny/wierd whatever.

Nokia have instructions on how to transfer maps onto the N900 on the homepage.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...d#/nokia-n900/

Look at the bottom on the page.

"Download and install Map Loader to your compatible computer. To use Map Loader you need Nokia PC Suite installed.

Open and close Ovi Maps on your mobile, if you have not used Maps before.

Connect your device to your computer via USB or Bluetooth in PC Suite mode* and open Map Loader.

*For your Nokia N900 use Mass storage mode."

But it does not work for me - tried on Vista 32-bit.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I downloaded the newer maps a couple of days ago using XP and following bun's procedure, no problem.

For the guys trying with Win7: have you tried to enable XP compatibility mode? If I remember correctly you'd need to right click on the mapload application icon and (under properties / compatibility) check and enable "run this program in compatibility mode for Win XP".

Somebody try and report back?

The Following User Says Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:

Tags
gps, landmark, maploader, ovi maps, poi