Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Death Scythe View Post
Texrat has a point re quality of the part used for the USB connector, though I've only read about 2 incidents of the connector falling out/failing. The one incident was Texrat's phone getting violently yanked by the cable.

Considering the number of N900's in the wild right now, I think 2 incidents is insignifficant, unless there are more that have yet to come to light.
It's now up to 3 documented to my knowledge, and 2 were from normal usage very early in the device lifecycle.

That last part is far more important than current number of known incidents. Don't get hung up on comforting numbers to the exclusion of other contexts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I think the bigger issue is not so much the entire receptacle coming off the circuit board, but the USB contact points disconnecting. It didn't seem to take much, given that the contact points are not welded, but "glued" to the board. I'd fear those coming lose before the entire assembly.

Either way, the snug nature of the power plug and port, make sure it "straight-in-straight-out"...there is little "wiggle" room, pun intended. I will concede that mine was an isolated incident, if others can confirm whether or not the power plug is a "tight fit".

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
A failure is a failure, but complete removal of the connector is fatal. I'd have rather had the other.

And now up to 4 reports...

I just had an idiot experience.

Was plugging in the usb to the phone, no response. Hunted around for usb issues, read through this - got worried.

Eventually realised the issue was plugging the wrong cable in to the phone. Sigh.

Originally Posted by davidennis86 View Post
Eventually realised the issue was plugging the wrong cable in to the phone. Sigh.
I discovered that you can plug a USB type A male connector into an RJ-45 Ethernet socket.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
I discovered that you can plug a USB type A male connector into an RJ-45 Ethernet socket.
Your'e right, did you smell smoke also?

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Your'e right, did you smell smoke also?
No. Did you?
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
No. Did you?
Sorry, I left my burrito too long in the microwave!

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
I've always thought the entire microUSB connector to be dubious at best. It's flat and in sits tight in the socket, ergo you need to use some force to pull the plug out. It is just way too easy to break the female plug if you happen to twitch the plug a bit. MiniUSBs were a lot nicer in that aspect.

Sadly, the N900 needs to be recharged daily. At least in my use. So I think it's pretty much avoidable the the socket fails at some point over time. I just hope it'll be within warranty period... *fingers crossed*

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
fwiw the cases reported here were pre-production devices. This problem was addressed in the final sales devices.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty