Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
I hope that one day Sailfish is going to support several users on one device with some sort of child restriction options. Then the tablet could make sense to me. Using it in the family.
I started looking into that; in theory it is very simple but there are some practical gotchas in it (as always in SWD )
  • basically what is required is just a login/logout controller that mediates which user is granted session
  • what makes it more touchy is that some systemd actions and targets are dependent on "nemo" user, those need to be identfied and corrected

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Thanks. Changed. But does IT really matter if its an upgrade or update or PR... Didnt know that they changed the Word and dont really see the differance. To me its a strange thing becouse now it easier to the Word downgrade instead of upgrade if and when jolla do stupid design decision. So now jolla really have to make huge improvements in every upgrade to justify the word.
No it doesn't really matter

Here the explanation by Aard:

We're currently phasing out the uXX naming on top of the version numbers. To identify an upgrade, use the first 3 digits of the version number (the 4th one is the build count). As an example:

1.1.2.10 could be the initial release of 1.1.2 (u11)
1.1.2.12 could be a hotfix for 1.1.2

We'll also adjust some other terms, aligning a bit more with terminology used in Debian and other projects, starting with 1.1.2:

upgrade instead of update
update instead of hotfix

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Hope not. They're currently estimating end of June for initial Sailfish 2.0 for the phone
Yes, hope not. But it's March now and seeing that it has taken over 2 months to release latest upgrades\dates so... My bet is that we'll see upgrade12 in May and SF 2.0 some time late fall.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by nestori View Post
Yes, hope not. But it's March now and seeing that it has taken over 2 months to release latest upgrades\dates so... My bet is that we'll see upgrade12 in May and SF 2.0 some time late fall.
Well, if those are your expectations, I hope you will not be deluded.

Seriously, the roadmap says update 13 will have a toolchain switch, which means all packages will be rebuilt with the new compiler anyway, so, given that everything will need to be downloaded again, it makes sense to do the switch to the new "2.0" ui at the same time. It is not a requirement, but it would avoid some extra pain for thwe users. I suppose they are planning the "2.0" thing for the tablet, so say around may june?

That leaves space for an interim release, and I do not expect we will see a lot of stuff there. They might release a few features anyway, but nothing major.

But hopefully, for this next fall, things will be stable again... B)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
Just for arguments:
I think, because it is not possible to force app devs to uniformly implement SF unified settings, and in reality there will surely be inconsistencies anyway, better let 'Settings' populate app menus - consistency known from every platform since birth.
It's exactly what Apple did with iOS since birth.

Personally, I don't see why you can't have both. Clicking the settings option in your app should open the same settings dialaog as from inside the system app settings page.

The problem at the moment it's you can't create the system settings connection.

Originally Posted by veeall View Post
Or should 'About' pages also have an unified place in Settings app, because these actually waste precious real estate in pulley menu.
Absolutely. It's such a waste of space.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
I suppose they are planning the "2.0" thing for the tablet, so say around may june?
As I said earlier, Jolla have already suggested June as the date for Sailfish 2 on the phone.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
rearange apps included...drag and drop?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
I watched a video of 2.0 on the phone and I'm not impressed... Everything is changed. I especially dislike that everything moves horizontally now instead of vertically. I never use my phone or ipad in landscape mode.

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by Miharin View Post
I watched a video of 2.0 on the phone and I'm not impressed... Everything is changed. I especially dislike that everything moves horizontally now instead of vertically. I never use my phone or ipad in landscape mode.
I've somewhere Carol Shen said the UI on the phone at the MWC is just a development version and doesn't reflect the definitive UI of Sailfish 2.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by romu View Post
I've somewhere Carol Shen said the UI on the phone at the MWC is just a development version and doesn't reflect the definitive UI of Sailfish 2.
Noo, what are you talking about? SailfishOS 2.0 and Tablet is ready already and won't be changed in any bit. You forced to wait some months just because Jolla decided so., and all things what you see at MWC15 are final.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: