Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So this makes up for the wonky microUSB, lack of updates, lack of support from Nokia, and people having issues with the PR1.1, PR1.2 and PR1.3 - in very small numbers, mind you - updates for the N900, right?

Not making small of this update and the problems it's caused for a few - of the fact that somebody hadn't done their research and bought a WP7, added Facebook and it didn't have Flash support - but to nitpick on one side of the fence; you're overlooking the problems with your side of the fence.

Let's be realistic folks... for once.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
How embarrassing.

People get the handsets they deserve, I guess.

I agree that these threads are tedious, even though I get sucked into them. But, the more I read about other handsets - the more I feel I am very lucky to have my n900. I'd love to do more with it, but it is my main mobile device, so I cannot really afford to mess about with it. And I cannot foresee there being a device coming up soon that I deserve more than this one.

The only thing that really bugs me about it is that I have to remember to recharge it every night. Considering what it does, it is a remarkably stable device, and I think I have had only had to reset it two or three times in nearly a year, never had a problem with upgrades, and it still has the original phonebook I imported off my previous phone's SIM. Granted that is unremarkable for a mobile phone, but the n900 is more than that.

Having said all that, I still get left with the feeling that I deserve more - but the problem is that there is nothing more.

Mish.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
The other thing that bugs me a bit is that it is a bit fiddly if, when you call a number, holding the device like a phone, you then have to start pressing numbers; or if you are speaking to somebody on it, and you have to look up a number for them. The latter has always been a pain for me - but the former seems worse when using a device without a numeric keypad. I realise that within the form-factor there is not much can be done about it, although I do wonder how other similar devices work. It seems odd to me that when you use the device as a phone, you have to select the numeric keypad to open to replace a screen that shows you that you are on the phone to somebody, with a button to disconnect. After cutting off mobile-phone sales cold-callers, the next most likely thing you would do with a phone would be to press a number, I'd have thought.

I am sure somebody will disagree with me on this vehemently, and tell me I am ignorant fool for saying so. Feel free to move this observation somewhere else if necessary.

Mish

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North Carolina, USA
This is the new Nokia or as I like to call it Nokin.
Attached Images

Dell 1420 Linux Mint 9
Nokia N900 Maemo5/NITdroid

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
The only thing that really bugs me about it is that I have to remember to recharge it every night.
You may install crontab and have it trigger a script to shutdown the device when it's not connect to a charger, say, after 2am.

In case you don't know, the alarm clock is still working even when the device is off. So it can serve as a reminder for you to switch on the device again in the morning.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North Carolina, USA
This is the new Nokia or as I like to call it NoKin.
Attached Images

Dell 1420 Linux Mint 9
Nokia N900 Maemo5/NITdroid

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Nokia Leaves Maemo and Meego for this!!!!" (13 posts) has been merged into this thread.

I think the point is that windows is a closed system so it has to function first time everytime and be fixed to entirity by microsoft.

we're OK with a few flaws in maemo and open source systems because we have the source, and an open platform to DIY.

That said, nokia in 4 or 5 years will be wondering why they ever got into smart phones to begin with.

the partnership with intel, meego, qt, AND intel's atom chips would have lead eventually to ATOM x86 smart phones running pure linux, and closed the link between desktop and cell phone. Just add a smartly written nokia phone tools type for desktops running linux, and you can now promote the same vertical integration apple has, while still taking the market for arm proccesors. Almost think, make meego ports for EVERY phone, and you can hijack competitor's products from them.

people use windows on their desktops because they have to, or don't know anything else.. It comes with the computer, they use it at work, they are used to it, mabey comfortable but they really really don't like it. When it comes to phones they avoid it like the plague. The operating system of the hour for the rest of the non-apple world is android. Nokia has a better chance sticking to their guns, and carving out a niche market with meego.

windows on cellphones is done. Just MS and nokia can't see that right now.

when this is over, nokia just signed on to a ship of fail. have fun making dumb phones.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GI jack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
@gerbick
What update to Maemo5 do you wish for that's not 3rd party related?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by deyons View Post
@gerbick
What update to Maemo5 do you wish for that's not 3rd party related?
Each and every WONTFIX.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, give me bada, meego rules, sir abill sir !, windowsce blows