Installing Ubuntu 10.04.3 64-bit and tried the partition function. Kept telling me I needed to create a "Swap" partition but /Swap is not an availible option. I added one of each of the options to the creation table and again it told me I neeed a "/swap" partition. How do you create a /swap partition if that option is not availible in the list?

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Installing Ubuntu 10.04.3 64-bit and tried the partition function. Kept telling me I needed to create a "Swap" partition but /Swap is not an availible option. I added one of each of the options to the creation table and again it told me I neeed a "/swap" partition. How do you create a /swap partition if that option is not availible in the list?
You should be able to find it as one of the last options under file system selection where you can choose 'ext3', 'ext4', 'reiser'..., and finally 'swap'; if you've already designated the partition as ext4, you've skipped the option. Or am I misunderstanding your dilemma?

"The Cake Is A Lie"

frostbyte- you did understand me correctly. I wasn't aware swap was it's own file system. Now I know! Learning Linux on the fly!

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Swap is for Linux what the page file is for Windows (if you don't look at all the really itty bitty details and only look for function).

Fedora hasn't been promoted enough in this thread so I'll say this: Fedora is a very good choice. Just stay away from Fedora15 for a while since "bleeding edge" really implies that you'll bleed from your eyes, nose and ears trying to comprehend what has been done in the quest for "Windows running on a Linux kernel".

When it comes to 32 vs 64 bits I'd say that them 8GBytes of RAM will feel very much left for dead unless you go for 64 bits. If you've opted for at least semi regular hardware, the 64 bit drivers will work well almost no matter which distribution you go for.

And, finally, if this is your quest to "learn Linux", the specific content of the repositories is secondary. Once you've gotten your head around packages and package based installations, you'll understand enough to be able to manage it no matter which distribution you like in the end.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Removed since the forum double posts like a schizophrenic without her meds.

Ubuntu 10.04.3 in 64-bit is running well enough except for a loud static crackle from my speakers/sound card on shut down.

Can't figure out how to install Flash Player 11. Terminal ignores install attempts. LS shows the file there but sudo chmod +x "BIN file here" doesn't seem to work. I suspect BIN isn't the correct extention for Ubuntu.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Ubuntu 10.04.3 in 64-bit is running well enough except for a loud static crackle from my speakers/sound card on shut down.

Can't figure out how to install Flash Player 11. Terminal ignores install attempts. LS shows the file there but sudo chmod +x "BIN file here" doesn't seem to work. I suspect BIN isn't the correct extention for Ubuntu.
go there, and copy the libflashplayer.so in /home/yourname/.mozilla/plugins/

or you can wait for it to hit the repo.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden

You will always find the latest and greatest as PPA in ubuntu.

To add the flash 11 64-bit PPA you do:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sevenmachines/flash
Then "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get install flashplugin64-installer".

PPA's are personal maintained repos but generally works great.

Also.. 10.04 is a bit old even though it is a LTS. If i where you i'd go with 11.10 as it is close to release now in october.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Whenever you install ubuntu you will more than likely want to install Ubuntu-restricted-extras
It is essentially things ubuntu wants to install with the OS but is legally forbidden to do so (it's not illegal to install, just illegal to install as part of the OS). Flash is one of them.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

can I use a single Swap partition for all of the distro's I insall or does each need it's own Swap?
As it's only being used temporarily while a single distro is running I assume the others can use the same when they are running alone.