Posts: 83 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ NIgeria
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
From above I can see there's indeed something funny with partitioning; hence I asked what command "sfdisk --json /devmmcblk1" shows. (you forgot the --json part...)
That command will tell what is the type of partition it does not recognize....
Thanks for clarifying my suspicions, so can I know how to go about properly formating my sdxc for optimum performance and the desired end result for this thread?
I have been able to get myself a boot environment where I can use Gparted for the formatting purposes, but I lack expertise even in that aspect. So can you be kind enough as to direct me on how to use the Gparted to format the sdxc to ext4 and get it in shape?
After that can you guide me on how to achieve the topic of the thread, I am grateful for your care and assistance

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
it should be pretty simple, just format your sdcard with gparted, select ext4 as file system and it should automatically be formatted as mmcblk1p1, there's not much, you can do wrong here, i think.
at least for me it worked this way

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
it should be pretty simple, just format your sdcard with gparted, select ext4 as file system and it should automatically be formatted as mmcblk1p1, there's not much, you can do wrong here, i think.
at least for me it worked this way
Thanks Leinad, but it showed mmcblk0p1 on gparted, and an error occured when i tried formatting it with ext4, it now shows unallocated, that is why I need help and guidance doing it

Originally Posted by dameceno View Post
Thanks Leinad, but it showed mmcblk0p1 on gparted, and an error occured when i tried formatting it with ext4, it now shows unallocated, that is why I need help and guidance doing it
Hi guys, I would like to report that Gparted formats the sdcard as mmcblk0p1 and takes so so long to discard the many blocks (31 million ) Would it be an issue after more than 6 hours for the formatting?

Originally Posted by dameceno View Post
Hi guys, I would like to report that Gparted formats the sdcard as mmcblk0p1 and takes so so long to discard the many blocks (31 million ) Would it be an issue after more than 6 hours for the formatting?
this does not sound right... for me it took maybe 5min to format my 64GB-card... maybe something is wrong with your card?

this does not sound right... for me it took maybe 5min to format my 64GB-card... maybe something is wrong with your card?

Thanks for the reply Leinad, there is no issue with the card ran the windows media card test app h2testw_1.4.exe and there were no errors with the test, on sailfish, the discartiing of blocks runs very smoothly. I have to point out that Gparted is used as a boot environment on a windows machine, maybe that explains the delay in the process. My main question is if the mmcblk0p1 which Gparted formats the sdxc will be an issue

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
What I am wondering, why do you need to partition the card with gparted in the first place; why cannot you partition it in the device just as legacy partition format.
Since you are not going to use the card outside the Jolla device anyway, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
What I am wondering, why do you need to partition the card with gparted in the first place; why cannot you partition it in the device just as legacy partition format.
Thanks for the reply juiceme, I am merely following suggestions, as I did format to ext4 with my device and didn't acheive the desired result, Gparted was my next bet according to those assisting me, I am more confident and even comfortable doing the formatting on my jolla, and am here for advice, so please do advice me on the proper way to format the sdxc card using my phone, so that the json command you asked me to run will not return partition issues problems. Thanks in anticipation of your reply

The Following User Says Thank You to dameceno For This Useful Post:
he had some trouble formatting his card, so i told him, i formatted mine with gparted and had no problems at all. that's why he tried.

i'm really wondering what's the problem with formatting this card... could it be, that some programs have trouble with 128 GB cards?

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
he had some trouble formatting his card, so i told him, i formatted mine with gparted and had no problems at all. that's why he tried.

i'm really wondering what's the problem with formatting this card... could it be, that some programs have trouble with 128 GB cards?
You might be right as I am starting to think the same thing, although that does not help me much here. Still have not gotten that many hours to try formatting it till the end with Gparted. Would have to, but if juiceme could instruct me on how to do the formatting right on sailfish and get the best result would have this burden off my back. The purpose of this thread is why I bought this 128 sdxc card to begin with so failure is not an option

The Following User Says Thank You to dameceno For This Useful Post: