Active Topics

Poll: For 770 owners, What we want?
Poll Options
For 770 owners, What we want?

What we want?

Last edited by smith; 2007-02-01 at 19:44.

All of above.

I just want to be sure there will be updates and fixes for old applications and new applications will be available to 770 too. I see Os2007 compatibility only way to be sure it will happen.

I don't mind if Nokia wants to call Os2007 for 770 a hacker version, but it must be good, stable and easy to install. When in the future someone not tech savvy asks fix for app and it's not available to Os2006, they need to be able to install Os2007 to 770, and just be happy with it. "We can’t justify doing much work on this hybrid" is not the way to fix this.

What comes to Opera, I don't much care the version number, but they should fix it.

Last edited by Invicta; 2007-01-28 at 15:50.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I voted for free upgrades and releasing the source code, possibly including patches contributed by the community into the upgrades.

I don't need ITOS 2007 or Flash 7 on my old 770. But I want a stable OS where applications can make use of the hardware, e.g. the DSP, or screen rotation.

I'm going to buy a (discounted) N800 soon, but honestly the 800 doesn't look like the kind of device you want to carry with you in your pocket. But my 770 in its leather case definitely is!

I voted for "Release 2006 source code (all, except licensed code as binary)" because I'd like as open a platform as possible. As long as the hardware lasts, I'd like my 770 to remain useful. If Nokia doesn't want to keep releasing updates for the 770 because it's a year and a half old, that's fine, but I wanna at least have the opportunity to fix the annoyances and/or bugs on my own. After I heard from Ari's blog that there'd be no os2007 release for the 770, I used apt-get to grab every component that was available as source for maemo 2.1 and 3.0. There's some big holes.

I'd like it to be possible for a user-created firmware release for the 770. Because of how Nokia licensed some of the software (opera for example), it wouldn't be possible for users to release the binaries for that, but Nokia could release two files - one being all the binary-only stuff that users can use but not redistribute. The other being all open source stuff (including some stuff that Nokia developed and CAN release as open source/free software). This, users could take and change and re-release to others with their modifications.

The Following User Says Thank You to mzandrew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I find a thread like this would be much better served to have people identify their problems, find the appropriate post in BugZilla, and add details and vote on the bugs. What do you think?

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
I find a thread like this would be much better served to have people identify their problems, find the appropriate post in BugZilla, and add details and vote on the bugs. What do you think?
Adding votes to bugzilla is a good idea (and I've done so on my most annoying bug/feature list for the 770), but unfortunately, bugzilla is buried on the maemo.org site inside the "developer" section, so most users wouldn't know how to find it or that *they* were supposed to use it.

For everyone, here's the link. https://maemo.org/bugzilla/query.cgi Search the descriptions for bugs you hate and features you want. If you do find a match, vote to get the bug fixed or the feature added. If you don't find a match, add a new bug / feature request. You have to make a new login (can't just use the maemo wiki one), but anyone can sign up.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ With My Kitty
What we Want? That is Strange. None of the Above. I would like a Teacup Chiuiua or however you spell it.

Originally Posted by geekgirl123 View Post
What we Want? That is Strange. None of the Above. I would like a Teacup Chiuiua or however you spell it.
None of the above is for that, like a teacup

This whole situation is outrageous. You go to Dell and buy a machine, they sell you one that works. You go to Microsoft and buy an operating system they sell you one that kind of works okay and give you a discount on the next version which works a bit better. Where's Nokia in all this? They sell you something which kind of works, if you don't mind no scrolling in e-mails for example, and then try to shaft you for the full price to upgrade. Where are the EU regulators when you need them?