So I have a 64GB card of which I am not 100% sure if I messed it up or it's no good, I formatted it btrfs (using Jolla itself) but it always mounts read-only.

I tried re-formatting from my computer, no luck, tried re-formatting to other formats no luck either.

So now I'm considering getting another 64GB card, my only question is, what speeds does the sd interface of the Jolla support, is it worth the extra splurge to get a faster card or will the phone anyhow not be able to leverage that speed....?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keeper of the Keys For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
What is the maximum read speed of the microSD slot in Jolla smartphone ? In MB/s.

So does it make sense to use fast microSDXC cards ? Because cards with 20-30 MB/s (read) costs US$30-40. But with 60-90 MB/s costs US$60-100.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
What is the maximum read speed of the microSD slot in Jolla smartphone ? In MB/s.

So does it make sense to use fast microSDXC cards ? Because cards with 20-30 MB/s (read) costs US$30-40. But with 60-90 MB/s costs US$60-100.
We do not know the specifications of the microsd interface, but I suppose it should handle high speed. After all, the chipset is high end enough.

The question is: is this extra speed really needed? I doubt it. Multimedia files do not need high speed read, 2MB/s should be plenty, Higher speed means you can exchange files with another device more quickly, and maybe index the files a little faster. But in most cases, it should not matter. Unless you plan to boot from the sd card, I think you can go for the cheaper one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
I'm also using a 128 GB card with ext4. If anyone has issues you can grab a newer /usr/sbin/mount-sd.sh from git. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ne...ts/mount-sd.sh you can devel-su then move your mount-sd.sh to .bak and place that one in /usr/sbin
Glad to know about 128GB SDXC card working with the Jolla Phone

Hey Guys!

I just ordered a Jolla and a Sandisk UHS-1 64 GB MicroSDXC Card. Any suggestions on what I should do first before inserting it into the device. I'm a Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit user with not much knowledge of Linux.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ grenoble
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Keys View Post
So I have a 64GB card of which I am not 100% sure if I messed it up or it's no good, I formatted it btrfs (using Jolla itself) but it always mounts read-only.

I tried re-formatting from my computer, no luck, tried re-formatting to other formats no luck either.
MY 64GB sd card fried counter : 4

Do you think this is a brand problem? My 128 is Lexar, ext4, 100 gig of data on there. I've never had a problem with any card in any camera or phone.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
Do you think this is a brand problem? My 128 is Lexar, ext4, 100 gig of data on there. I've never had a problem with any card in any camera or phone.
Me neither and I've a pile of 6 that I rotate around phones, cameras, tablets and my Mac. The only one that ever went read-only was in my Jolla and it was a Sandisk Ultra 64GB formatted FAT32 so not cheap and no weird non-standard Linux filesystems though obviously FAT32 isn't a standard either for 64GB cards. I'd been using that brand for ages and still do in other devices so I do not suspect it's a brand problem.

I wonder if people have the same reliability problems with 32GB cards in Jolla phones ?

I've also got a 128 gig micro in my Jolla, working well :-)

I actually did a `btrfs device add /dev/mmcblk1 /`; and so now I have 134 gig for everything... (I don't recommend trying this unless you're willing to deal with the risks of something going wrong...)

My Jolla seems to insist on doing a "filesystem check" (or something like that) on every boot, but other than that it seems to be working fine :-) (Been that way for ~2 weeks)

Has anyone else tried something similar? It hadn't crossed my mind as an idea until recently, but it seems to work well :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruce-one For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Russia
I've also got a 128G Sandisk microSD about 8 month ago, formatted it with BTRFS. It works nicely. Previous 64G AData (or was it SiliconePower?) died after 2 months.

bruce-one: I'd strongly advice against adding SD to the same pool as root fs. AFAIK to use additional space you will have to use RAID0, so if SD dies or isn't available at boot, you can end with corrupt filesystem. What's worse, "factory" home/root filesystems are stored as btrfs subvolumes, so they can get corrupted too, leaving you with unrecoverable system.

IDK what recovery mode uses for root filesystem. If it doesn't depend on those "factory" subvolumes, you may still be able to recover by restoring those subvolumes or the whole partition if you backed them up beforehand. Jolla won't provide you with images because of licensing restrictions.

Running 'balance' operation in this setup is especially dangerous since it'll most likely move some parts of 'factory' files to your SD to achive nice RAID0-like performance. In newer versions of Sailfish balance may run automatically if free space is too low.

So I'd advice to make sure that you have all filesystem/block dev backups and recovery mode uses some other partition, or be ready to ship phone back to Jolla for reflashing...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to butler For This Useful Post: