Poll: Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?
Poll Options
Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post

So I ask: will Nokia release another MeeGo device after the N9?

I think that there are three but's

- First of all, are consumers eager to buy this? o/

- Second, are we ready, or are the software companies willing to support and make applications for M-H/N9

- Third, and it sells enough/more compared to what WP is expected to

N9 has already been approved in the media

If the phone is ready, it should get quickly to consumers, like Elop previously promised/required. We'll see what happens ...

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
I do mean it. I am buying two of the N9s. Red and Black. Red for Mrs, black for me
i'm buying a 2nd N900 today
one to run Fremantle and the other for whatever comes down the MeeGo / Harmattan pipeline

maybe i'll get a Cyan N9 for Mrs., indeed. not much can go wrong, right? "just swipe..."
are they Ice Tea & coffee tight @ least?

Last edited by misterc; 2011-06-22 at 22:58.

I can't see why not. So i voted Yes - but I'm running on pure hope

Here is what nokia have told us so far.
- Funding for R&D into Meego will continue into the future(Link)
- Meego is now part of Nokia's "future Disruptions" (link)
- This Future Disruption team "goal, as Elop told a group of engineers in Berlin on Feb. 29, is once again to "find that next big thing that blows away Apple, Android, and everything we're doing with Microsoft right now and makes it irrelevant—all of it. So go for it, without having to worry about saving Nokia's rear end in the next 12 months. I've taken off the handcuffs." (link)

So why would Nokia continue to spend money in developing Meego if it didn't expect to realease any products.

It is also important to notice that Mr Elop has told the people looking after Meego to "go for it, without having to worry about saving Nokia's rear end in the next 12 months."

That was only 4 months ago.

Last edited by cleonkennedy; 2011-06-23 at 00:58.

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
actually if it was elop ,he would have never released a meego device if it wasnt already prepared by nokia developers,so there isnt gonna be a new meego device ever again,it was just a formality to a far cry for meego Os ,nothing else .microsoft came to nokia to tell people ,they are just gonna stick with symbians(for asian countries.who dont afford to buy expensive devices) and wp7 .(for developed nations to compete with iOs or android. i wish they could see the maemo work by community .

Originally Posted by prankster View Post
actually if it was elop ,he would have never released a meego device if it wasnt already prepared by nokia developers,so there isnt gonna be a new meego device ever again,it was just a formality to a far cry for meego Os ,nothing else .microsoft came to nokia to tell people ,they are just gonna stick with symbians(for asian countries.who dont afford to buy expensive devices) and wp7 .(for developed nations to compete with iOs or android. i wish they could see the maemo work by community .
the community work from Maemo (or now MeeGo) is undeniably great for ppl like us who usually already running GNU/Linux on our home PCs / laptops, but for Jane or John Doe, it simply won't sell.
dependencies, conflicting packages... no way.
it has (alas) to be the m$ way (i.e.: download a kbXXXXXXX & let it install)

ps: i deleted the link to the Elop on Helsingin Sanomat; can't find ANY reference to it on the a search engine.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Of course it will. It will be a phenomenal success, and it was Elop that has been pushing N9 to come out. They will treat Meego/Harmattan as a boutique niche that one day explodes on its own. It will all depend on the sale of this device. Simple as that. If it doesnt sell, no more Meego devices from Nokia. If it sells, you will see them with and without keyboard
there wont be any other meego device from nokia, even if the n9 will be successfull... elop is too much on ms side... not on our side

Where is the "Who cares" option? While the N9 is tempted, "fool me once shame on you...". I'm not looking to be shamed.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by cesman View Post
Where is the "Who cares" option? While the N9 is tempted, "fool me once shame on you...". I'm not looking to be shamed.
You can always choose the "What's MeeGo?" option.

Are you ashamed of your N900 (assuming you have one)?

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
You can always choose the "What's MeeGo?" option.

Are you ashamed of your N900 (assuming you have one)?
I know what MeeGo is. I have a N900 (and a N800) and am not ashamed of the devices. My dissatisfaction comes with Nokia. While the N9 looks great, how long will Nokia support it? While MeeGo is Open Source, it should not be entirely up to the community to support a manufacturer's device. Yes, I'm aware MeeGo is more that Nokia... I'm taking a more wait and see approach.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Elop has been clear. It's a resounding no.