Active Topics

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I think the NDA is referring to a different kind of information. For example, if Nokia were to inform us of some technical changes to the N9 specification (that would affect application development), we would be forbidden from disclosing this information publicly.
Ahhh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
I'm interested to know if the N950 (and the N9) is likely to have the ability to run Power Kernel or something similar and what speeds the device is stable at (if applicable)? If the N9 is able to overclock at the same ratio as the N900 (600MHz to 1.1GHz stable), I'm sure a lot of people would be a lot less annoyed with the somewhat subpar specs of the N9

I really feel like getting one when it comes out, I don't know if I'll be able to resist

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Anyone receiving an N950 will have approved this NDA:
Just to make sure situation is more complicated, it is not the only NDA. I never signed this one, for example, but I signed PLA (product loan agreement) which also talks about admitting that provided developer device and its software may evolve before actual product sales release, therefore, developers are asked to keep from publicizing things that to be fixed in final product, like bugs or missing features. Quite similar language was in previous Maemo products' PLAs too. The line is a bit vague and you'll need to be a lawyer to really define it properly for some areas, though I think it is actually reasonable approach for in-development software and hardware.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
So, I got my N950 just yesterday.

My first imression of it is how bigger it is than N900. After placing them side by side, it no longer seemed that way though. The N950 has the same height, but it is wider and also slimmer than N900. It does feel smaller and less clumsy.

After turning on, I had to admit that this is the best LCD I've seen in a phone. The built-in apps are nice, and they are also colorful, not all-dark like Maemo 5. The device is also blazing fast, the animations are seamless.

Hardware keyboard definitely requires some time for getting used to (The difference is like between N810 and N900, in a positive way.) I've yet to find a way to remap the layout to input accented characters with it. The hinge is firm, and opens with a strong snapp.

Nokia managed to squeeze in a lot of features into the software, even some that were recommended by the community. I'll list some of my favorite highlight here so that future N9 owners can benefit.

- Some apps have fast scrolling, so you can scroll according to starting letters of contacts, artists, etc. when you scroll on the right edge of the screen
- Favorites in Contacts makes it unnecessary to scroll through a large list when you're looking for friends or family
- Contacts has groups and custom ringtones by contact, and it generates thumbnails for people who don't have one based on their initials
- Facebook app has the ability to only add those people to your contacts that are already there
- Merging contacts are easier
- Browser is capable to pinch-to-zoom and is a lot faster
- Music stops when you unplug the jack and the device wakes up when you plug it in

The e-mail client, calendar app, and several more are better and more convenient than N900's same apps.

My NDA (non-disclosure agreement) forbids me to publicize any deficiencies in hardware and software that come from the pre-reflease nature of the device, so I will not talk about any bugs.

One particular point is (which is also confirmed final, so I'm not breaking NDA here) is that the three home screens are portrait-only.

I hope I helped to ease anyone's curiousity.
Cheers!

Last edited by Venemo; 2011-07-14 at 08:55.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by biatch0 View Post
I'm interested to know if the N950 (and the N9) is likely to have the ability to run Power Kernel or something similar and what speeds the device is stable at (if applicable)? If the N9 is able to overclock at the same ratio as the N900 (600MHz to 1.1GHz stable), I'm sure a lot of people would be a lot less annoyed with the somewhat subpar specs of the N9
I hope there will be power kernel for N9 and N950 too. And I think it will be there for sure.

But let me stress one thing: N950 works so smoothly (by that I mean almost always 60FPS capped by vsync) and reacts so fast that there is really no reason to overclock. I have my N900 overclocked to 1.15 GHz all the time and it is far far worse in terms of speed than N950.

Specs seem to be lower than competition but it is only on paper. In reality N950 is high end device. I will give one concrete example: on N900 resetting tracker database for 3GB of mp3 and 5 movies takes about 10min during which device is barely usable. On N950 the the process takes 30 seconds and there is no visible lag in UI. The only thing that lets me belive that N950 is doing tracker stuff is that tracker processes are visible in top and they eat a lot of CPU.

The GPU in N950 is also the same on paper but I can tell that it is much more powerfull. For example in picture gallery I can swipe through hundreds of pictures at 60FPS with not a single frame dropped. That is a huge bandwidth of texture uploading to GPU. This is not possible on N900 because the bandwith is very limited (I know that because I have done a lot of benchmarks during CloudGPS development).

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post
The GPU in N950 is also the same on paper but I can tell that it is much more powerfull.
The N950's SGX is clocked at 195 MHz vs the N900's 110 MHz.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
The N950's SGX is clocked at 195 MHz vs the N900's 110 MHz.
are they--- overclocking it?

or n900 is underclocked?

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
My NDA (non-disclosure agreement) forbids me to publicize any deficiencies in hardware and software that come from the pre-reflease nature of the device, so I will not talk about any bugs
any negative points besides bugs?

did nokia released N950 out in middle east?

The Following User Says Thank You to brokensmile For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 review, troll >, who cares.