Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
8hours work time? come back when they have a tablet with a week of usage without recharge. F.F.S. a new laptop holds better battery time even if screen is huge and Quad core CPU.

Also it will fail, why the f.. do you want to run a Linux desktop on a tablet without keyboard?

Seriously I have realized Tablets still are a toy for teenagers/kids and only for use with games. Sent my Android tablet back after 2 days of use.

Still use my laptop.
Could you please consider not posting anything from now on when you have no clue what you're talking about? Every single time you post you pretend to be superior to everyone and everything, and it's becoming duller by the day.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Could you please consider not posting anything from now on when you have no clue what you're talking about? Every single time you post you pretend to be superior to everyone and everything, and it's becoming duller by the day.
Whilst I agree that mikecomputing's writing style could be annoying at times, would you care to point out which part of his post do you disagree with? 8 hours battery life is pathetic. A desktop OS on a device without a keyboard is a guaranteed fail. Tablets are toys.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
different view, different character, i think mike just try to deliver his idea, nothings wrong with that, and he's speak the truth btw, imho.

Can we expect another maemo family from nokia next year? sorry for oot cause i miss fremantle or harmattan so much, and hey it's linux!

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I hope you guys haven't forgotten about UbuTab

Last edited by HtheB; 2016-11-22 at 10:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Whilst I agree that mikecomputing's writing style could be annoying at times, would you care to point out which part of his post do you disagree with? 8 hours battery life is pathetic. A desktop OS on a device without a keyboard is a guaranteed fail. Tablets are toys.
Well, I'll point out the parts that I disagree with if you don't mind. 8 hours of battery life isn't bad when you keep in mind that tablets are NOT a replacement for desktops. Also, you can always buy a bluetooth keyboard to use with the tablet! Tablets are useful if you're on the go. I personally got saved by my tablets many times because I didn't have my laptop or desktop around me and had to SSH into a server and fix something that went terribly wrong (which at one point took me several hours to pin-point the issue and correct it).

Again, that's just a small example. But enough to point out that the statement "Tablets are toys" is false.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Again, that's just a small example. But enough to point out that the statement "Tablets are toys" is false.
No, tablets are toys, you cannot get around that.
However I consider toys good and useful things.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
It might be pointed out that Maemo devices were initally "Nokia Internet Tablets".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Definition of toy:

: something a child plays with
: something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment

Although the tablet can be used as a toy.. There are many other examples of uses (like the one I mentioned above) that does not make it a toy exclusively.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I agree. Tablets are toys. So are smart phones and pcs...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
8 hours of battery life isn't bad when you keep in mind that tablets are NOT a replacement for desktops.
I do not quite follow that line of reasoning. If you had said that 8 hours is fine for a desktop replacement then I would understand. That is pretty much where laptops fit. But 8 hours for something that, by your own emphasis, is NOT aiming to replace a desktop? For something that, by its very nature, is meant to be mobile?

Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, the portable counterparts of the desktop computers of the same era had a battery life counted in weeks or months (Sharp PC 1500, HP 95LX...). Similar counterparts in 2010s barely manage through the day. What went wrong?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: