Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Amusing discussion. It's like discussing if the Ford model T is alive or not. For the enthusiasts it is just as alive now as ever before. For the rest of the world it is nothing but a curiosity and a piece of history.

I mean, MeeGo is nice and all on the N9, even though it is not MeeGo but Harmattan, But it IS dead in any real world terms concerning the future.
I agree with what you say, 100%, i've been trying to make everyone happy but, seeing this is not the real issue, But Hey, is that not what Cult-ure is all about, holding on to set values.

Microsoft-Nokia made sure they Killed it, Actually it was not so much Nokia that made sure it would die, It was Microsoft, Maybe someone should start a new thread about this, But i mean what type of business model is this

"Nokia CEO Stephen Elop confirmed that even if the N9 proves to be a massive success, there is no returning to MeeGo for Nokia. Nokia instead will be betting everything on Windows Phone 7 platform and Elop is confident that it will be well received"
Even though it is a success we are not returning? So, your sales are telling you someone out there likes what your company is doing and you say, we are not going to go back, even though the whole world loves it? Really? Really?....

Now that i am on a Roll, i find it strange, Nokia is saying the N9 is the hottest smartphone of the year and yet, they killed it. I was actually Angry at nokia for a while, Because i Loved their maps,i think they maps are 1000% Better than on android, Mainly because of the robotic voice Google Nav has, and hoped they would do well, But you cannot change what is out of your control,

As you said, In the eyes of the world -- The world of Technology, Physically Meego is dead. Yes. But the idea that Meego stood for is not, IMO, you cannot kill Ideas, and this idea is still alive,Open source, the problem is, people are trying to reincarnate not the Idea, but the actually dead product, and i don't think, Microsoft--Nokia will want to see this, and IMO, i believe they will try very hard to stop it,

How? Well to add insult, the created Not one WIndows phone with the N9 design, But two. So, if you walk in the street with your Meego N9 and someone sees it and likes it, they will think it's a windows phone.

Atleast, if Nokia shares fall, and Microsoft Buys a large chunk, then you know, who Elop actually works for,

OK kids, five points for anyone who gets this correct, -- Which company did Steve Elop work for before moving to Nokia -- Anyone?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
Ok ok tell my whats wrong and il say it again. Sorry guys. My keyboard predicts works and thats great. But the problem is. I dont always get the words -keys that i press because it tries to predict the word. And i forget and continue typing and post. But if you say what you dont understand. Il get back to you what i get home.
It's fundamentally difficult and an arduous request for me to point out what it is I don't think I understand--you see, I don't understand what was written. :P

Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
First off I'm certainly not a fan of Elop, as a long time Nokia user I actually still rate Symbian(the burning platform!) as one of the most dependable operating systems out there, and would take MeeGo over WP7 any day of the week(hence buying an N9).
You could have fooled me. You're proposing putting similar blame on salespeople, the way Elop did. I'm just pointing out the obvious fact and the conclusion is easy to make, right or wrong.

Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
The reason I commented that store staff are often lazy is because from my experience they are. As I already explained, more often than not, whatever the features you tell them you're looking for, they'll have you on one of the two most popular phones within minutes, even if they don't fit the bill for what you clearly described as your needs in a phone.

I only go into high street stores to have a proper look at the handsets(where possible, N9 being a fine example of not possible), but always find a member of store staff trying to tell me what I'm looking for, which I can almost garantee is not. I even walked into both CPW and P4Y some time ago saying I was looking for a good qwerty phone, to which I was recommended a GalaxyS2 Went back home and ordered a Nokia E7 which nobody in store was interested in discussing yet it fit my requirements perfectly.
That's an incredibly odd argument to make and has all the makings of blithering. You're effectively saying that when you've laid out the features you were looking for in a device, the staff pointed you to popular devices that are better supported, much more capable, newer devices that often (or at least more-or-less) have the features you're looking for, you would just slander them as lazy. Near as I can tell, they're doing most people a favor. Your aversion to "popular" things aside, there's nothing lazy about it. If that's the same as lazy, you're a dolt and my argument to support that statement is as plausible or flimsy as yours.

Also, why are you buggering staff about something you weren't actually looking for when you knew full well what you wanted was an N9? It seems to me that you went in with the intention of not really looking for something they had and you're just looking for an excuse to call them "lazy." You weren't exactly open-minded. That's hardly objective nor convincing evidence for your end of any kind of debate.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Amusing discussion. It's like discussing if the Ford model T is alive or not. For the enthusiasts it is just as alive now as ever before. For the rest of the world it is nothing but a curiosity and a piece of history.

I mean, MeeGo is nice and all on the N9, even though it is not MeeGo but Harmattan, But it IS dead in any real world terms concerning the future.
This is a very accurate and convincing statement. You could learn from Specc, Tetlee. I don't always agree with Specc but at least he can make perfect sense when he makes his points.

A more relevant example is the old Atari, Commodore, Amiga, Timex Sinclair, Texas Instruments 99/4A, etc. computer enthusiasts. To MANY of those people (I'm particularly partial to my Ataris and Commodores) those machines never really died and they continue to do interesting things today but they ARE dead for all practical purposes and for the general population. Even THOSE enthusiasts will admit that they're floating by on a dead platform but they wear that badge with a certain amount of hacker's pride the way the old classic car people do. As somebody that loves and fixes his own classic 1974 VW Beetle (no longer made/supported by manufacturer) and a 1993 Honda Del Sol (no longer made, very limited support by manufacturer) just for weird fun in addition to keeping up my old Atari and Commodores too, I completely understand it. However, the Maemo/MeeGo crowd seem to lack this sort of reasonable hacker's pride and are in incredible denial, insisting that they're NOT a dead platform. It's strange.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
Whatīs all this stress and race for nothing really about?
I assume most of you guys still have your N9s, just like I do...and I assume youīre still enjoying it pretty much...just like I do...
and we all know we chose it and still use it on purpose...the purpose of having something DIFFERENT...something you see every morning without feeling miserable that youīre just another mass-market sheep as are probably 9 of 10 people you know...
Comparing to anything available at the moment, the N9īs swipe UI is by far the most amazing phone experience. Its usability has been polished a lot with PR1.2 update. If the PR1.3 properly fixes some outstanding bugs and has already been defined, itīs even better...I honestly donīt need to even think about any other smartphone for at least a year...
so whatīs the big deal of constant fights whether the OS is or is not "dead"? Itīs still highly competitive, usable and very much alive OS in our pockets...and thatīs that...

Last edited by jleholeho; 2012-03-26 at 09:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
Whatīs all this stress and race for nothing really about?
I assume most of you guys still have your N9s, just like I do...and I assume youīre still enjoying it pretty much...just like I do...
and we all know we chose it and still use it on purpose...the purpose of having something DIFFERENT...something you see every morning without feeling miserable that youīre just another mass-market sheep as are probably 9 of 10 people you know...
Comparing to anything available at the moment, the N9īs swipe UI is by far the most amazing phone experience. Its usability has been polished a lot with PR1.2 update. If the PR1.3 properly fixes some outstanding bugs and has already been defined, itīs even better...I honestly donīt need to even think about any other smartphone for at least a year...
so whatīs the big deal of constant fights whether the OS is or is not "dead"? Itīs still highly competitive, usable and very much alive OS in our pockets...and thatīs that...
Your hilarious passive aggressive jealousy aside, you make the right point! If you got your N9, why are you bellyaching? Have some sense of pride, for crying out loud, and try to clearly explain why MeeGo is not dead instead of crying about the facts that you're not really running MeeGo and that MeeGo was stillborn.

Thank you, jleholeho.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Your hilarious passive aggressive jealousy aside, you make the right point! If you got your N9, why are you bellyaching? Have some sense of pride, for crying out loud, and try to clearly explain why MeeGo is not dead instead of crying about the facts that you're not really running MeeGo and that MeeGo was stillborn.

Thank you, jleholeho.
Whatīs with the jealousy, though?
Iīd never be jealous to anyone who is just another mass-market sheep...
The only real and clear explanation of MeeGo Harmattan OS not being dead would be a simple questionnaire:
1. Do you have and USE the N9 on daily basis?
2. Are you completely satisfied with it? (almost completely, of course..thereīs no smartphone in the world one could say is completely satisfied with)
3. Do you miss something from Droid/iOS/WP in particular, which is pretty much unbearable?

If thereīs at least 1 million Y, Y, N anwsers you can easily consider MeeGo Harmattan OS in the N9 as NOT DEAD

The Following User Says Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan dead ???

I don't think so :
- almost 1,400 softwares @ My-MeeGo and about 5,000 @ Nokia Store after 6 months, with increasing number each week, it is more than N900 after 2 years;
- PR1.2 released 1 month ago, with exclusive features (face recognition in photos and gallery, NFC with Facebook, etc) not found in other smartphones, PR1.3 in some months;
- open mode kernel for PR1.2 since beginning of March or Inception to open the use of your N9/N950, (almost) like being root on N900;
- Fennec/Firefox with Flash 10 & GTalk video release 1 month ago @ Nokia Store;
- "Easy" Debian with open mode kernel or inception;
- Android 4.0.3 ICS alpha on N9 & N950;
- FM radio & Bluetooth keyboard softwares available @ Nokia Store.

MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan would be dead when :
- repositories and Nokia Store stop working, i.e., you could not install softwares after reflashing N9/N950;
- new software aren't released;
- the community stops creating inovative projects.
With this logic, Maemo 5 and even Maemo 4 are not dead. I use my N810 and also develop softwares (released last month IPython 0.10.2, SymPy Interactive Shell 0.7.1, Uncertainties 1.8 and Django !)

I see a lot of energy here that could be spent enjoying the freedom and power of your Nokia N9, or even creating new softwares, hacks, ideas, docs as an active community.

Last opinion, also as an Asus Transformer TF-101 user with Android 4.0.3 ICS : in my opinion, PR1.1->PR1.2 on N9 was a lot more important and useful than Android 3.2->4.0 on TF-101 (which is bugged as hell, I can't use GMail because it often closes). The media perception sells the idea that Android 4.0 is fantastic (with respect to Android 3.x), but my experience shows that it is overhyped.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-03-28 at 14:28. Reason: Typos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Hey Guys look what i saw in another thread.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-No...phones_id28513

Is Nokia working on two low-end MeeGo smartphones?

If this is true then, Nokia is confused and there is some fighting going on in the Nokia corporation

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-28 at 15:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
Hey Guys look what i saw in another thread.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-No...phones_id28513

Is Nokia working on two low-end MeeGo smartphones?

If this is true then, Nokia is confused and there is some fighting going on in the Nokia corporation
Why do people never get it!?

Meego is DEAD. What is NOT dead (yeat) is:

* Maemo6 Harmattan
* Meltemi (probadly a "fork" of Harmattan) and what those lowend devices will be based on.

The people ehind that link have no clue what they talking about when they say "Working on Meego"

Btw. My guess is those lowend devices will be based on Broadcom chipset like the one used in Raspberry PI......

(Actually Nokia seems to be one of the sponsors of raspberrypi project...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-03-28 at 16:26.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Why do people never get it!?

Meego is DEAD. What is NOT dead (yeat) is:

* Maemo6 Harmattan
* Meltemi (probadly a "fork" of Harmattan) and what those lowend devices will be based on.

project...
i actually Said Meego was dead too, As dead in the sense of the Technological world, Eg. Creating new devices with it, Mass marketing and Showing off new devices at places such as CES, NOKIA World, etc . I just came across the Link and found it interesting...

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
There were some heavy layoffs in the Maemo/MeeGo sections of Nokia, right? Did those people by any chance got together to create a new company that stayed true to the ideals we were promised with those projects?

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down