Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Just to clarify, I was against moving maemo.org to a maemocommunity.org.
Which is exactly what I was referring to, "speaking for You" - I think it's clear enough for everyone following this thread carefully. I know, that we're free to open own forum and move there without asking anyone - but thanks for reminding, anyway. I'll also remember to religious add "AFAIK" in any sentence related to You - which, by the way, I don't expect to be happening much.

Please, can we already get back to on-topic discussion?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-03 at 19:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Quite a thread from just having a couple of beers

Should the intro simply state something along the lines of: "The Maemo Community is home to hackers of open mobile devices and software."

Why make life harder by trying to pigeonhole the community too hard? The good thing here has always been the attitude of can do with regard to mobile devices.

Of course the community formed around Nokia devices, or the software in them. But I would say that things have evolved over time and people with roots in Maemo are all over the place now.

So let all the flowers bloom.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
+1 to tekojo.

nobody actually reads lengthy introductions, but I think in the sidebar the evolution of the platform should be at least extended to today and if later more flavours are hosted to be briefly mentioned (history, roots and target).

I would NOT like to have the name of the site changed again. Many people got upset last time and I hate drama..

I would like more moderation, rules of conduct link mentioned in the first page and an unlike button (maybe only in the Community/Discussion part of the forum?). We need to protect all opinions and not allow some to dominate discussions.

[off-topic-stuff]
I take also the opportunity to welcome back Quim; we've missed you and I hope it becomes very hot soon for you to take off again the shirt and hat.

Finally, whoever is here and doesn't believe a new "Maemo" device will come in less than a year from Nokia is a fool.
[/off-topic-stuff]

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
Quite a thread from just having a couple of beers
Magic Mountain View Beer!

Should the intro simply state something along the lines of: "The Maemo Community is home to hackers of open mobile devices and software."
I would rather have a start page that goes like this:
"Do!" (some DIY pictogram + short text what amazing things you can do with your device, that is, selected "success stories", but must be recent stuff)

"Hack!" (pictogram that takes you to the developer sections of the various devices/projects. needs very short intro)

"Talk!" (pictogram that takes you to the forums etc. need very short intro)

I find such minimal yet useful starting pages way more inviting.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikhas View Post
"Do!" (some DIY pictogram + short text what amazing things you can do with your device, that is, selected "success stories", but must be recent stuff)
Would require constant updating. Not to mention, that opinions what is "amazing" tends to wary - for some, whatsapp is more amazing achievement in few years , while for others, it'll be kernel-power, hostmode, CSSU, or steering OpenPilot copter.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Would require constant updating. Not to mention, that opinions what is "amazing" tends to wary - for some, whatsapp is more amazing achievement in few years , while for others, it'll be kernel-power, hostmode, CSSU, or steering OpenPilot copter.

/Estel
It just needs to have different types of things in it for different people with different devices. Keeping it on a general level wouldn't require updates that often.

Actually, how about simply removing the intro page and adding a short introduction text about the community to the top of the index page?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I, for one, have already expressed that perhaps the less platform-specific former name of InternetTabletTalk.org would still be a far better one today--or, better still, change the site name and identity to reflect the far more diverse and less Nokia-centric nature of the site today, say just "mobilehack.org" or something. I think we've all been repeatedly more or less screwed by hitching up too closely with a corporate brand like Nokia. Clearly, there will no longer be any new Nokia devices that are aimed at this crowd anymore--certainly nothing with the Maemo name.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Incidentally, there's rumors that Meltemi will only allow QML + JavaScript applications (and by proxy of course "HTML5 applications). Were it so, it'd be no better than the old JavaME applications in possibilities.
Do not know, if the following is about "Meltemi"-phone or not, but it does seem to have "Java-license" mentioned in the page 41/42.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y0s7k6zgsizwhof
"Nokia 306"

And it does not have GPL mentioned in the Licenses sections, so either it is not a "Meltemi" or "Meltemi" has not much to do with Linux.

About the "maemo.org" name. I see this site mostly about "Open Mobile Platforms" , although not much about Tizen is discussed here, nor about Cyanogen(mod) Open-Android (or running Fedora and Ubuntu under Android) and so on.

Last edited by zimon; 2012-05-05 at 11:33.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
For instance: Vivaldi tablet. http://makeplaylive.com/

No idea about their plans to build a user community but to pick it as an example: would they have a place here? Would it be worth to actively invite them around?

More examples are welcome. They are useful no to get too abstract in the discussion.
Most people from Mer who are involved with Vivaldi are here once in a while anyway It doesn't hurt to invite others as well. I think Mer deserves more attention on TMO, may be a dedicated page / dedicated subforum. Since Mer is a real community effort, not controlled by corporations. And it's intended as Meego Relaunched (previously Maemo relaunched), so it's only fitting to give Mer more attention.

Others already created Vivaldi centered open communities:
http://opentablets.org

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Well Blackberry 10 and Tizen sound pretty exciting at this stage.

I guess we'll need to see how those two pan out in the fall, but I wouldn't mind the community embracing at least Tizen, perhaps the other one.

Nokia has abandoned us (device wise), and will likely be irrelevant in the mobile industry in 12 months (with less than 5% marketshare), so we can forget about them. We hence need to adopt something that comes close to what the Maemo series offered.

I guess we as a community also need to consider financing. As Nokia collapses some bean counter is bound to come across the small costs associated with maemo.org as a "unnecessary line item".

Last edited by olighak; 2012-05-09 at 22:47.

Tags
cyanogen, goodbye maemo, tizen, winding down