I am just learning about Bluetooth DUN. I have read through some posts on here to figure out the setup. I am using a Verizon Wireless Rizr (love it by the way). when I cannot to Verizon Wireless, I put in my username number@vzw3g.com and password, I read it was vzw, is this right? Tap OK, phone prompts to connect, select yes, phone says calling, then they 2 devices disconnect and the Nokia says "Authentication failed, try again?" What does this mean?

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Midwest
Verizon does not allow for bluetooth DUN, at least that is what the Verizon help folks have told me. To use a Verizon phone with DUN, the device needs a cable to the phone (which Verizon will sell you with a kit, but for PC's only). I think Verizon is supposed to open thinkgs up shortly and I am hoping that they will start allowing for the Bluetooth DUN connection. If someone knows a good workaround, I would love to hear about it.
BTW, on Verizon even if you have a full data plan for your phone, if you use DUN (cabled) there is a recurring charge of about $20 a month.

I am pretty sure there are others in the forum who have successfully used Verizon DUN.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I use Verizon DUN without a data plan. It requires a suitable phone and some mods in order to work.

If you want to delve into cell phone extreme, check out howardforums.com they seem to know anything and everything about cell phones and how to tweak them.

thanks, I have read some other DUN threads on here and have looked at howardforums. I had no idea it was this complicated. I don't know that I ever need to get online that bad. I think its just one of those things you want to do because you can.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Midwest
I just found this thread "Bluetooth verizon access solved". Search for it and you may find the information you need.
Sorry for the bad information in the previous post. I should have done more research.

I have a Treo 700w, or some such that's working.

Connection type = Data call - when this was set to GPRS, it did not work, with the message you got
Dial-up number = #777
Password and username as you said...

Hope this helps.

Ted

If you don't MIND paying for a data plan (or you've got a generous employer, as I have), then it's pretty easy. Verizon certainly does support what they call "tethering over bluetooth" and it was trivially easy to configure. I've done it with several different Verizon cell phones, on a 770, an n800, and now an n810. The wizard in OS 2008 will do all the configuring for you, but in older OS's, what the previous responders have said is true.

I have OS2008. I did a new connection type as a Data call and entered the other listed settings, but with same result. I am on America's Choice plan and have 1X, so I dont think I should get data charges. Its the new Nationwide plans that charge per MB.

Free data on a Verizon phone?

Que?