Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
I have never understood the tabs thing and I think in the Nokia it makes little sense.
I would argue the opposite. I don't use tabs much on the desktop, except for special cases (as when I read ITT and pick all the 'new posts' pages at once and line them up in one tab each). I have a 1920x1200 pix screen and I simply open lots of (possibly overlapping) windows. I did that with the old 1280x1024 screen too. But on a Hildon device there's only a single window at the time, and tabs make sense on such displays IMO.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by arman68 View Post
I think the screen is too small for tabs. What's wrong with pressing the "home" key to switch between windows, which is essentially the same functionality as tabs.
I agree with arman. No vote from me. We are already losing enough space with the normal furniture we have if we're not in full screen mode. Tabs will only make the effective screenspace even smaller.
I prefer pressing the Home key.

Ton.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Tabs take too more space on the screen. OK only if it can be remove from the preferences.

It should satisfy all if the tab selection bar is only visible if you actually open new windows as tabs.

I'm on the side of no tabs in non-full screen mode as the space taken would be too much, particularly as there's the option to switch using the left-side "task manager" pane.

In full screen mode it's a different story because there's no visible way to select a different screen. The problem there is taking up a lot of scarce vertical space. Perhaps if there were a thin left-hand border which when tapped scrolled out to show the names of the pages to allow selection, then disappeared again.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
No tabs. We pretty much already have tabs functionality as others have said before. Why waste more screen space for something we already have?

It doesn't _have_ to waste space. Open in new tab should be an option like Open in new window is today. And cycling through windows with the home button is not the same as being able to hop between specific tabs, unless you have only 2 open.

Edit: The only reason I would be against it is if it turned out to bloat the executable too much, w.r.t. size or speed.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-07-20 at 12:46.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Why vote against it? Have you guys actually used tab-systems before? There isn't any extra space taken up if you're not using it, as the tab bar is completely hidden when you're not using it.

Wow, I know, that blew my mind, too.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Why vote against it? Have you guys actually used tab-systems before? There isn't any extra space taken up if you're not using it, as the tab bar is completely hidden when you're not using it.

Wow, I know, that blew my mind, too.
I've been using tabbed browsing for over 10 years already.. I think all the way back to Opera 2.0 or 3.0, so I'm well aware of that. There's just no point in having it because we already have the same functionality. I'd much rather they spend time adding useful features or fixing bugs in current features than essentially duplicating what we already have.

Not to mention that this will end up confusing the end user when they see that almost every other program's windows all show up in the taskbar except the web browser, where they have to switch to the web browser and THEN again switch tabs in another part of the screen to get to what they want. This goes against the standard UI and expectations of end users on Maemo.

Just doesn't make any sense.

Well, the point is we _don't_ already have the same functionality, isn't it? And why on earth users should be confused by something they're totally familiar with from the desktop is beyond my understanding.