I want to transfer music vids to n810 from my desktop. Easy enough. Once they are transferred though they will not play. NIT doesn't even recognize the file format. My desktop shows that they are mp4 files. mplayer opens them with no problem even when I play them from the n810 memory card via usb connection.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by bootdoc View Post
mplayer opens them with no problem even when I play them from the n810 memory card via usb connection.
Just to be clear, you mean mplayer on the desktop machine will play the files ok?

Just to be clear, you mean mplayer on the desktop machine will play the files ok?
Yes, that is correct. I have also tried playing videos from the joost website with n810 and that doesn't work either. The files I want to transfer are saved from joost on my desktop and then moved to the 810. The file manager on n810 shows them but they are greyed out.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
What software are you trying to use to play the movies on the N810? You can install mplayer if you haven't already.

Also, check out the maemo wiki about the video capabilities of the tablet.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Video_encoding

Depending on the source files you have, converting might be necessary for smooth playback.

OK, I figured it out. It was a permissions problem. I changed the perms. after moving video to 810 now they play. video is choppy though.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ Chicago
I have full length movies on my pc and i want them put them on my n810 what format do they have to be converted to?

Originally Posted by jus2much314 View Post
I have full length movies on my pc and i want them put them on my n810 what format do they have to be converted to?
If you're using mplayer (install from application manager) most formats work. I'd suggest Divx or Xvid with width < 600 and bitrate 900kbps or less. Anything above that can be choppy. Avoid .264 codecs

Also I find this config in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf helps performance a bit:
Code:
ao=gst,sdl
vo=omapfb,xv,sdl
noframedrop=yes
afm=dspmp3,libmad
noslices=true
monitorpixelaspect=1
fs=yes
cache=8192
font=/usr/share/fonts/SwaRR4nh.ttf
subfont-text-scale=3
menu=yes
sws=0
zoom=true
double=yes
lavdopts=lowres=1,600
There's a bunch of talk about this on these forums too, check the search function.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ California
it sounds like you're just moving video files over from your desktop to your tablet. you should always convert the video files first. videos converted for your tablet will look way better and the filesize will be much smaller.

i use Nokia N800 Video Convert, it works well.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/sepaolo/n800vc/

Originally Posted by magicmt View Post
it sounds like you're just moving video files over from your desktop to your tablet. you should always convert the video files first. videos converted for your tablet will look way better and the filesize will be much smaller.

i use Nokia N800 Video Convert, it works well.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/sepaolo/n800vc/
and all the extra time transcoding as well as storage for the transcoded files.. and you are making an assumption about the video working 'better' and having a smaller filesize given you don't know the properties of whatever file he's inputting or output settings he'll choose.

Converting for the tablet is necessary in some cases, and a waste of time and space in others.