I have an N800 and I just bought a Bluetooth GPS device that pairs with it just fine. I can see the sattelites, but need a Map software to use the GPS as a Navigation tool.I have tried downloading the wayfinder US maps, but they dont download. I even tried downloading overnight and just got a "download failed" message.

Does anyone know of a map sortware that I can pull onto my N800 to use with the GPS device?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Upgrade to OS2008 and/or install Maemo Mapper.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
Being a palm convert who had tom tom running on my lifedrive - gps for the n800 isnt quite there with the level of use and sophistication as the palm or a stand alone unit.

However, being a unix guy for many years, and even being a palm developer - the n800 is great for us techie types if you dont mind some tweaking.

Right now there are 3 options...
1) as mentioned above - if not so already -reflash your unit for os2008.

os2008 comes with the wayfinder apps.

downloading the maps can be a pain. There was a thread on this site that suggested another method for downloading the maps from wayfinder via your pc.

This worked for me.

Maps are reasonably current - poi's as well. Only once (while in the rental car in the Burren of Ireland) did the map not sync up with reality.
Routing is not included - and is a "service" you can pay wayfinder to enable in a license.

2) also as mentioned above - download maemo mapper. it is free!

This uses maps from a number of sources (google, ms, openstreet) which are bitmaps. They need to be downloaded before you get in the car. There are a number of tools to aid downloading maps.

Route planning requires a web connection - and downloading a routing file. Lots of threads on its use on this site.

Needing to be tied to the net to do routing or downloading is a little bit of a hastle (and requires pre-planning). Probably would be great on the N810wimax.

I havent had much luck with poi's.

3) Roadmap - another freeware project just recently announced on this site.

This one uses free government vector maps. The only way I could get this to see my BT gps was to run wayfinder at the same time.

I've been only playing with this one for a couple of days.
It may be me, but maps dont refresh when you get your location off of the screen.

Route planning uses the same method as maemo mapper (above).

---

While it may be obvious to say how about loading the tom tom software on the palm emulator - unless i missed it; the blue tooth stack doesnt connect to the nokia blue tooth stack. only straight palm ip stack talks to the nokia ip stack...

Like in all software - there are many ways to skin the cat...

The Following User Says Thank You to ebrindle For This Useful Post:
Quick thought: Instead of wayfinder, try going Control Panel -> GPS Location -> Location, and leaving that up? Less overhead on the device than installing / not removing wayfinder. (I already removed mine... Maemo Mapper here, though I may yet try Roadmap. I think there's also a zmapper about, zaurus port I think? I may try that, too.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Wow. Great response and recos from all. Thanks. My device is runnig os2008, but wayfinder is a subscription service and I dont want that. I also cant seem to get the maps to install from them. I wonder if you need an actual subscription rather than the trial.

I did load the MAEMO mapper. The maps are great, but if I try to use the routes aplication, it either freezes up or tells me the source is bad.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Quick thought: Instead of wayfinder, try going Control Panel -> GPS Location -> Location, and leaving that up? Less overhead on the device than installing / not removing wayfinder. (I already removed mine... Maemo Mapper here, though I may yet try Roadmap. I think there's also a zmapper about, zaurus port I think? I may try that, too.)
I'll give it a try - and report back.
Thanks for the suggestion.

You have to have an internet connection to get routes in Maemo Mapper. If you do have a connection, then the usual reason for having problems freezing when trying to get maps and routes is a bad card. The internal card seems to be reset to read-only with some frequency, and I've quit using it, downloading everything to the external card. I've had no problems with that, after many using the internal card. Nokia doesn't seem to have all the bugs worked out of the internal card slot/driver.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post

Yup - that does it. and it is a lot smaller memory footprint than running wayfinder.

Thanks!

Ed

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
If you're still having trouble downloading the Wayfinder maps you can download them here and transfer them to your tablet from your PC. Wayfinder does require a subscription, but only for routing and voice navigation. If you just want to see where you are it works fine, and since the maps are not saved as bitmaps they take much less space.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jellotherat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by JMHSRV View Post
...I have tried downloading the wayfinder US maps, but they dont download. I even tried downloading overnight and just got a "download failed" message....
Check your dl folder. A 750 mb map will need approx 1.3 G space to dl. DL failed usually is a space problem.

bun