Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Snohomish
If anyone is interested in remotely accessing their PC with their internet tablet (or any other PC), take a look at logmein.com.

Logmein.com
  • Setup -- Sign up for a free account at logmein.com and then download and install the applet on your PC. You can set up multiple PCs for access via the same logmein account.
  • Pro trial -- You get a free month/90 minutes of the Pro version. The pro version offers printing, file transfer and some other bling that many find worth paying a monthly subscription for. This funds the free side of things.
  • Free Version -- after your month runs out, you get the Free logmein version, which limits you to remote access of your pc's desktop and programs. This is adequate for many uses. I suppose a kludge workaround for the lost of file transfers in the 'free version' might be to email yourself any files you might need.
  • Keyboard input -- to enter text into the remote, there's a window on the top of your browser screen that lets you type stuff in, that you send to the remote PC when you are ready to send.
  • Speed Issue -- on the n800, whenever you do anything on the remote PC, the screen blanks and rewrites itself to account for the change. In other words, don't expect to do a lot of work remotely.
  • It's great for accessing appointment books, looking at files and stuff like that. It helps to provide easy one click icon access on your PC desktop to the things you might want to access remotely.

Always, Fred

Remote Access is an excellent feature, which enables to acess files from a system that is far away from you.

Hey. I have already used LogMeIn and it is very good. Additionally, I have even tried using other remote support tools such as gosupportnow; GoToMyPC etc. and they are good too. Has anyone tried deploying on premise remote support appliance such as RHUB or Bomgar appliances in order to remotely access computers? I have heard that it is very good and is only onetime cost as compared to hosted services.

What the heck is that, crypto-advertisement? Instead of logmein, which have bsd-derived vnc bits under the hood of closed source blobs, everyone can use any variant of FOSS VNC - be it UltraVNC, TightVNC, or (on linux) TurboVNC or x11vnc. Plentora of them, all very easy to use, open source, etc.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
A bunch of users making their first posts praising LogMeIn does sound suspicious indeed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ culpeper,va.
Never use logmein, instead I used vnc, ssh and orb. Good thing is they are free and open.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geektech For This Useful Post: