Poll: Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?
Poll Options
Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
But we're not Maemo 4-6x, future vibrancy will ultimately be around Sailfish, Plasma, Ubuntu etc. We have an opportunity to become the hub for all those platforms...
Sure they'll ultimately have their own little community hubs, but maemo.org (later maybe something else) can become the glue that binds them, & increase LT chances of good interoperability.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-23 at 09:54. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Well this place is famous for maemo and adding support for others is good... Domain change can be suggested only in the event when Maemo devices are dead or have no development etc but currently both the N9(00) are actively receiving love so it doesn't make sense at all even in the medium term... Long term we all have no idea of what those new platforms will look like too so its a bit too presumptuous to jump onto domain change...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-01-23 at 10:16. Reason: typo

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Well this place is famous for maemo and adding support for others is good... Domain change can be suggested only in the event when Maemo devices are dead or have no development etc but currently both the N9(00) are actively receiving love so it doesn't make sense at all even in the medium term... Long term we all have no idea of what those new platforms will look like too so its a bit too presumptuous to jump onto domain change...
Agreed. Couldn't have said it better. It would keep the memories of maemo :')

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
The forum is great as is. No need to change anything..

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following User Says Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
I fail to see why it "can only be suggested in the event that N9(?0) is dead or no dev is occurring"...
That ignores the fact that there'll be quite a few more devices injected into the system over the nexr yr+ which won't be represented by such a domain/site_name...
This community won't be as vibrant as it can be 1yr+ from now if it doesn't treat MeR relatives (+ maybe a few others) as equal citizens, they should increasingly become the priority in-fact.
At the moment the problem seems to be that "medium term" & "longer term" is not clearly defined as a time-frame.
Anyway all this is off-topic (thanks to me), later in the year there can be a separate discussion about domain/site_name change.
When I last spoke to council about it, they felt it was best to be more closely looked at well after the migration completed.
I'm not entirely sure of the wisdom in that, but maybe it is the best way overall....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-23 at 14:05. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
This community won't be as vibrant as it can be 1yr+ from now if it doesn't treat MeR relatives (+ maybe a few others) as equal citizens, they should increasingly become the the priority in-fact.
I still don't understand why to treat other OSes as equal citizens we need the domain name changed... Maemo is our legacy and ask those at Jolla who are from here and they will tell you they are proud to be associated with maemo...

Also please no such thing as "priority in-fact", at one point you say equal citizens now you want them to be treated as priority? IMO sub-forums and enough space for the OSes is fair just like its fair for Maemo devices; anything additional to that like domain change is just unnecessary... You don't invite someone to your house and transfer your home's deed to them right?

Also, sub-forums is more than enough considering NONE of the other OSes are even stable and on commercially available devices...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-01-23 at 14:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Maemo is our legacy and ask those at Jolla who are from here and they will tell you they are proud to be associated with maemo...
Yes, just as much as they are proud to be assoc. with meego (proper), nemo, mer & it's derivatives etc, which is also "our legacy".
Your point is?

Also please no such thing as "priority in-fact", at one point you say equal citizens now you want them to be treated as priority?
Try re-reading what I wrote, "increasingly a priority in-fact", that's a simple reality, you don't get that?

anything additional to that like domain change is just unnecessary...
You seem to be loitering between; "it's an option longer-term" & "no I just dont want it period, & wouldn't even welcome a informed discussion about it at some point"
Which are you?

You don't invite someone to your house and transfer your home's deed to them right?
This is a misleading/poor analogy, I'm not suggesting naming the site_name or domain after one of those projects, I'm suggesting a meta site/community of sorts, one that encapsulates them.

Also, sub-forums is more than enough considering NONE of the other OSes are even stable and on commercially available devices...
This is were time-frames comes in, who's saying anything about considering/doing this tomorrow.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-23 at 14:26.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Try re-reading what I wrote, "increasingly a priority in-fact", that's a simple reality, you don't get that?
I get it jalyst but I don't the zeal with which you come out with changing domain name to accommodate something new which has not even been released commercially/widely...

Do you mean just because these new OSes come out they should be given increased priority and a domain change should occur while all the time dis-regarding the people who are still supporting the N9(00)? We have zero idea on how new OSes will perform, how open they are, do they want their Community to be based here etc...

While we do know that those supporting N9(00) will support it here not in another place so the N9(00) should not face the domains being changed for something that hasn't achieved something similar...

I'm disappointed to see you of all people being so zealous with something (domain change) that majority of Community wouldn't want at least for the next 6 months especially when you have been around the Maemo-MeeGo fiascos...

Edit: You have edited your post to add more so I'll just answer to the following:
You seem to be loitering between; "it's an option longer-term" & "no I just dont want it period, & wouldn't even welcome a informed discussion about it at some point"
Which are you?
My point is simple this topic is re-structuring the forum, you said that the Board/Council have put this way above changing domain name... Changing domain name when things are still on-going here well seems not sensible to me... Like all wise men say never say never so I have never and will never refuse an informed discussion about it but that discussion to be held currently is pointless considering the circumstances... A sensible discussion would be around re-structuring the forum not the changing of domain at this point of time and at least for the next 6 months IMO...

Also all the above are my views/opinions; since you feel its gone off-topic and you want to carry on this discussion feel free to do so via PM

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-01-23 at 14:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
There is no need to change this forum. Changing the domain name is a little silly. Ubuntu in particular already has a massive established community.

I don't want to see maemo.org change focus to all of this unrelated stuff. I am a Maemo user, not a 'whatever is on engadget this week' person. What is wrong with having a place focus on Maemo? Why is there some invisible mandate to change ourselves over to some other thing? Who will pay the server bills for that?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to khm For This Useful Post:
I don't see why we really need a domain change either. I love talk.maemo :') Best community I've been in. We can accomodate the other OSes in subforums, or even main topics, if it has a priority that high. Maemo will live as long as people believe in it. Long live maemo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post: