Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
spoke too soon, theres my music player widget back to its normal unresponsive self again!

After changing the region from UK to Australia (I dunno why it changed to UK), all newly created Calendar appointments don't sync up to Outlook right.

If I create an appointment on my N900, it syncs to Outlook fine.
If I create an appointment in Outlook, it syncs to my n900 3hrs early.

I had to change my timezone to Vladivostok, Russia and then change my time to my local time for it to all line up again.

After flashing to PR1.2, Facebook Widget seems to have gone back to taking you to www.facebook.com rather than www.facebook.com/home.php
This means that it asks you to download a file. There is an old thread on this but it is archived.
Anyone else or just me?

Link to another possible bug:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53760

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Desktop data counter no longer works Roaming data counter is when you are on a phone network different from the sim one (useful when abroad maybe). Assume desktop data counter will have a fix soon. The clunkiness and slowness dissaperas after a few hours I have found.

I had the leaked pr1.2 (yes I know...) and cannot find any differences other than the fact that the latest pr1.2 has ruined my battery life. LPR1.2 was superb, I could get a whole days use without going near 1/2 way on the battery. This morning I took it off the charger, checked my email and a few forums and 20mins later and 1/4 battery gone Not a good sign. At this rate I will flash back. Time to remove desktop widgets and reduce screen brightness again How can this get so much worse? Will have to check my wif fi power settings and have a general trawl. Overal pr1.2 is better but why did this batch of fairly minor changes take sooo long ?
Because people as usual are "assuming" it was "minor" changes rather than realising that a lot of the stuff was fixing memory leaks and other behind-the-scenes issues, that you will only notice are fixed when you have been using your device for a week and realise it hasn't slowed down like it used to.

Its known that they spent a lot of time fixing bugs in the graphics driver and MicroB, many many memory leaks and other things which you wont necessarily notice the difference on day one but drastically improves the stability of the device over a longer period.

Also I know it would be painful, but I think Nokia made a big mistake allowing this update OTA. They moved a lot of stuff around from the NAND to the eMMC and its clear the best way to update is to backup, copy everything off in Mass Storage mode then do a completely restore to factory PR1.2 by flashing FIASCO and eMMC. Knowing that a lot of stuff is being moved around I did it that way and find scrolling silky smooth and while I have had a few stutters where I click something and it doesn't respond for a few seconds, it seemed to calm down after a couple of hours and is now faster than ever.

The problem here is people expecting an OTA update to work as well as a complete reflash and Nokia are partly to blame by allowing it. OTA works better if you do lot of small updates rather than occasional big ones like this one. If you want to reduce your chances of problems, backup, copy everything off in Mass Storage mode then reflash EVERYTHING!

Code:
./flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f
./flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
I'm not saying you wont have problems, but I think quite a few in here are caused by people updating OTA or flashing the FIASCO image but not the new eMMC. Most of all, its people not knowing what they were getting themselves into buying a Linux phone. As a long time Linux user I knew all too well that there would be missing functionality and that installing applications could break the ability to update properly.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-05-26 at 10:26.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
For that matter who would want to run exchange at all
Any business that wants a good integrated e-mail / calander / contacts system with a good desktop client that allows for roaming e-mail use, web access, etc. etc.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I'm not saying you wont have problems, but I think quite a few in here are caused by people updating OTA or flashing the FIASCO image but not the new eMMC. Most of all, its people not knowing what they were getting themselves into buying a Linux phone. As a long time Linux user I knew all too well that there would be missing functionality and that installing applications could break the ability to update properly.
Hi Alex,

thanks for this insightful post. I only flashed the RootFS and I am satisfied so far.
My question now is if I should do it again but also flash the eMMC. Here (http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...MC_in_the_N900) it says:

N900 users don't need to reflash the eMMC of their device.
My question now is: Should I reflash with the new eMMC contents? What has changed? It would not be a problem at all, I am familiar with all of it, flashed my N900 several times. Backup and restore is fine so far. A qualified statement, preferable from Nokia, if it makes sense / is advised / is required to also flash the eMMC would help a lot.

Thanks,
Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
Anyone else's vibrate stop working? Mine now just emits a high pitched noise, but no vibration. Worked fine before upgrade.

Two more possinle bugs here.

1. Could both people who started fresh and people who updated OTA tell me how the responsiveness in offscr-backgammon is? (OVI backgammon). I'm experiencing much slower graphics (noticeable with the dice rolling) and also, if I ctrl + backspace to the app switcher, backgammon will freeze and I'll have to start a new game

2. Not sure if this one is still a bug or not, I was experiencing freezes with microb that would lock up the entire phone (no app switcher or power key). I've reset my microb settings now, I'll keep this thread updated.

Originally Posted by haj View Post
Now this is a funny one..
Everything went great, including most of restoring applications, until Application Manager started complaining "Not enough space in application install memory" ect.
I uninstalled some stuff, but that doesn't help.. And now even if I try installing a small app it complains about not enough space.
The funny thing is, I have 76,5MB free rootfs and 120MB free /home..
Anyone else has this or know a solution?
Okay, so I just noticed the LOG in App Manager.

Tried installing some random stuff, an icon-set for OMweather.

It fails with:
apt-worker: free space (/home/) = 123076608
apt-worker: totalt space (/home/) = 2113748992
apt-worker: you don't have enough free space in /home
required disk space: 420478
result code 7

No one else has this problem?

edit; trying fix, apt-get remove --purge hildon-application-manager, and reinstall..
didn't fix it..

Last edited by haj; 2010-05-26 at 11:37.