Notices

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Successfully processed a map of the British Isles with the Linux importer (https://github.com/rinigus/libosmsco...git.20161118.1).

Processing time was under an hour with an i5 Haswell, which I think is pretty damn good!

Loaded it onto an SD card, and it is all working great (testing with Poor Maps). I think I could probably play around with the OSMSS settings to get the maps to load a bit faster, because the FP2 has 2GB RAM (looking at the settings, I think they're probably designed to be suitable for Jolla 1 too i.e. 1GB RAM?).

The first route I asked it to calculate was from Guildford to the Isle of Skye, which worked(!) - for those of you who don't live here, that's about 1000km! I was actually quite surprised that the route calculation was successful because OsmAnd had trouble with the length of the route, or the bridge to Skye (maybe it was a map split in OsmAnd?), or both. Not only that, OSM Scout Server was quicker than OsmAnd taking just a couple of minutes. to calculate. So basically, you've beaten the best offline map & routing app for Android already...

I have one remaining question, and a two requests...

In the stylesheets folder, there's a file called map.ost. I haven't copied it to the phone... should I, or is it just used for importing?

Would it be possible to add a folder selection for choosing the folder containing maps? Typing out the UUID of an SD card is pretty tedious!

Can the routing speeds input boxes be converted to mph using a settings toggle in the app to save the hassle of converting them?

Thanks again guys, I'm seriously impressed!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Successfully processed a map of the British Isles with the Linux importer (https://github.com/rinigus/libosmsco...git.20161118.1).

Processing time was under an hour with an i5 Haswell, which I think is pretty damn good!

Loaded it onto an SD card, and it is all working great (testing with Poor Maps). I think I could probably play around with the OSMSS settings to get the maps to load a bit faster, because the FP2 has 2GB RAM (looking at the settings, I think they're probably designed to be suitable for Jolla 1 too i.e. 1GB RAM?).

The first route I asked it to calculate was from Guildford to the Isle of Skye, which worked(!) - for those of you who don't live here, that's about 1000km! I was actually quite surprised that the route calculation was successful because OsmAnd had trouble with the length of the route, or the bridge to Skye (maybe it was a map split in OsmAnd?), or both. Not only that, OSM Scout Server was quicker than OsmAnd taking just a couple of minutes. to calculate. So basically, you've beaten the best offline map & routing app for Android already...

I have one remaining question, and a two requests...

In the stylesheets folder, there's a file called map.ost. I haven't copied it to the phone... should I, or is it just used for importing?

Would it be possible to add a folder selection for choosing the folder containing maps? Typing out the UUID of an SD card is pretty tedious!

Can the routing speeds input boxes be converted to mph using a settings toggle in the app to save the hassle of converting them?

- I TRY TO IMPORT USING THE STATIC PROGRAM https://github.com/rinigus/libosmsco...git.20161118.1 BUT I GET A ERROR> CAN U SHOW UR EXAMPLE to IMPORT?--------------------------------debian-9 OS

Last edited by karlos devel; 2016-11-30 at 01:17. Reason: upd

The Following User Says Thank You to karlos devel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
The OSM Scout Server Day & Night layers have been added to the default modRana layer definitions:

I also plan to (finally!) do a new modRana release in a few days to make this functionality available to users.

Thanks a lot yet again to rinigus and all others who made this possible!

Now I just need to add all support for all the other nice features OSM Scout Server provides, such as search and routing.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
I used to test it on Nexus 4 (2GB RAM) and now I just moved to OnePlus X (3GB RAM). Since I don't have access to Jolla 1, I have no idea how well it works on that. I have followed the RAM usage of the server using SystemDataScope earlier and it was about 300MB RSS, if I recall correctly.

However, while RAM is handy, it would not have a major impact on map loading, I think (unless its cached by FS). You are probably bound by I/O from SD card, unfortunately.

No, I don't think we have beaten OsmAnd. Maybe in routing speed, but there is still a long way ahead - keep patches and issues coming!

There are many ways of contributing in addition to coding. For example: filing issues, working on map drawing styles (standard.oss on your phone) and making them better suited for Poor Maps and modRana.

I am wondering, how well does it cope with the wrong-sided roundabouts? Any other problems? Never tested it on UK maps, I must say. Please file issues in GitHub if you see any.

Yes, map.ost is just used for importing. You could actually tweak it to import or exclude the features you want. Although, let us know if you changed it when you stumble on some bugs.

To take the maximal positive out from the current situation, you could even try to memorize UUID while you type it in .

Yes, I plan to add file/directory selection dialogue. Not sure it will be in the next release, but it will come. You could probably use symbolic links for now to simplify the path. Issue filed: https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/issues/42

Will deal with it: https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/issues/41

Thank you!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by karlos devel View Post
- I TRY TO IMPORT USING THE STATIC PROGRAM https://github.com/rinigus/libosmsco...git.20161118.1 BUT I GET A ERROR> CAN U SHOW UR EXAMPLE to IMPORT?--------------------------------debian-9 OS
Hi! Let's try to fix it.

Its not fully static since there are major issues involved if you have threads. So, its almost static in this release, but not fully.

Please paste the command that you run and its output.

In addition, please paste output to see whether dynamic linking is working - from importer dir run:

ldd bin/Import

and to know a bit about your machine:

uname -a

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
The OSM Scout Server Day & Night layers have been added to the default modRana layer definitions
Thank you!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Windows users - great news for you! Michael Nenninger developed a script that simplifies the import of the maps to dragging and dropping action.

Get the latest importer package from https://github.com/rinigus/libosmsco...git.20161128.2 , unzip and follow the README.

The same version has been generated for Linux as well. There are small improvements in import script in Linux allowing you to run it from any path.

The importer link has been updated in GitHub osmscout-server README.md as well.

I have tested the imported maps against 0.4.1 release of the server. However, if you encourage any problems, please let me know.

Thank Michael Nenninger for developing the import script and I hope that Windows PC owners could enjoy offline maps on their Sailfish devices as well!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
At First - thanks to you all for your great work!!!

One question:
I use OSM Scout Server with maps of Germany Austria and Switzerland. I recognized, that working with it isn't really fast, espacially when using Modrana (which often even refuses to load some map tiles). Using poormaps is way faster. Why is that?
And, can I speed it up in general. (Maybe by using a smaller map area?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
I am wondering, how well does it cope with the wrong-sided roundabouts? Any other problems? Never tested it on UK maps, I must say. Please file issues in GitHub if you see any.
Wrong sided! Lol. I can't see any problems with the test routes I've generated, but I haven't actually used it for driving yet - will let you know if I spot anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
At First - thanks to you all for your great work!!!

One question:
I use OSM Scout Server with maps of Germany Austria and Switzerland. I recognized, that working with it isn't really fast, espacially when using Modrana (which often even refuses to load some map tiles). Using poormaps is way faster. Why is that?
And, can I speed it up in general. (Maybe by using a smaller map area?)
I must say that I use modRana on PC and Poor Maps on the device so far. So, I haven't tested modRana too much on device.

Assuming that you use the latest version of the server (there could be different problems with the versions earlier than 0.3)

* you could be hitting timeouts for connections in modRana. As a result, modRana might ask multiple times for the same tiles. To check if its true, look into the events log shown in the server's main screen. Check whether the same URL is loaded multiple times.

* its probable that modRana and Poor Maps use different tile sizes. This is visible in URLs requested to render the tiles. Notice if there is a difference in "shift" and "scale" parameters in URL. Poor Maps uses by default 1024x1024 or 512x512 tiles that are not very well supported by modRana (or not at all yet) with modRana using 256x256 tiles (shift=0 and scale=1 by default). As a result, tile rendering can be done in bigger chunks in Poor Maps which should produce faster overall rendering. Optimization of tile size vs parallel rendering is not a simple problem and it may vary between the devices.

* maybe modRana's rendering is slower. If its true you could try to follow when the server states "Idle" on its cover and see when the map is rendered in reality. For that, browse the map in Poor Maps or modRana and peak by sliding from the right on the state of the server. In Poor Maps delay is minimal if any, in modRana - I haven't checked.

As for general speeding up - Smaller maps do help to render faster. Also, don't forget that Poor Maps and modRana make tile caches. So, when you open the same place next time, it should be faster.

The main drawback of smaller maps is that you would have to change them in the server's settings. Also, you cannot calculate the routes between maps. But if you know, for sure, that you are in some area and would be using only that for some time, its better to have a map of just that area. It should speed up things a bit.

We'll probably have to work on speed optimization at some point. At present, I am mainly working on getting the maps accessible for all, expose functionality better (GUI enhancement), and on bug fixes. There are few ideas already voiced in this thread that need to be checked better and I'll try to do it as much as I can.

rinigus

PS: meaning of parameters in URL is described at https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server#tiles for tile rendering

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles