Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
hi,
i've used the following http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=5725 to backup my smses and call logs direct to my gmail account. could you create something similar which helps not only to backup but to also re-import.

i managed to import my smses from your script above but my call logs are backed up to my gmail account and can't be imported back due to my limited coding knowledge. the publisher isn't interested in creating an import utility.

sorry if it bothers you and thanks in advance.
i am also EXTREMELY interested in importing/exporting call logs as csv. ive been wanting to explore this, but been much too busy with real-world-work, n9-button-monitor, and stepmania. {dunno if donations are an incentive here, but id love to donate for this}

ive been idly wondering how much info is actually stored for each call. the recent-calls app shows one call per number, and it doesnt include the call length. i would really like to know incoming/outgoing/missed, call length, phone#, and time, for ALL calls, not just the last one per number.

@thedead does cuckoohellos thing store more info in your gmail than is available in the recent calls gui?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
no. the info stored is the length of the call, whether its incoming/outgoing/missed and the date. regardless of the gui of recent calls showing only the latest call, the backup stores all the communication with that contact.
what is missing is the exact time of the call in the backed up email.
the exact time is available from the sender/receiver pull-down menu as follows:

me
to:
****** <********@unknown.email>
date:
Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM
subject:
Call with ***********
mailed-by:
gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Firstly, thanks again for the really handy app.

I've got a contact with ~ 5000 messages. It tends to slow the system and takes a while to send the sms. I am wondering whether it is possible to extract messages prior to (say) 2 months ago and be left with messages from then till now?

Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
Firstly, thanks again for the really handy app.

I've got a contact with ~ 5000 messages. It tends to slow the system and takes a while to send the sms. I am wondering whether it is possible to extract messages prior to (say) 2 months ago and be left with messages from then till now?
you could use my script to do this, its exactly what i use it for.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=31

0) make a backup with the built-in backup tool
1) save my script as n9-sms-tool.pl on the phone
2) perl n9-sms-tool.pl backup
3) perl n9-sms-tool.pl split
4) modify n9-sms-tool.pl '30 days ago' to '60 days ago'
5) perl n9-sms-tool.pl join
6) delete all conversations #careful! make sure the filtered.sms file looks good first
7) smsbackuprestore import filtered.sms

Originally Posted by wolke View Post
you could use my script to do this, its exactly what i use it for.
Thanks for that. But I would like to do it for a specific contact, namely the one mentioned. Not for all of my messages.

Maybe an option for a further release? To filter via a contact.

Thanks for that. But I would like to do it for a specific contact, namely the one mentioned. Not for all of my messages.

Maybe an option for a further release? To filter via a contact.
i think that would be a nice option for my post-processing script. if i get time, ill work on doing things like that.

but, in my opinion, the main app shouldnt add anything at all. it does one thing, fast and very reliably. {i think it should be bug fixes and performance tweaks only}

if you just want to get this done real quick, you can still use my script as-is.

it sorts by contact, and sorts each contact by time. you can do that, then modify the contact file directly. {just find the last text you want, and remove everything above it}.

then join them back together, delete all, and import. {with e.g. '50 years ago' instead of '30 days ago' to get them all; that should be a command line option, not hardcoded in the file. sorry!}

Hi,
I am wondering whether this app is designed to import social media conversations i.e. facebook, gmail and skype or only sms's?

I can happily import sms's to my heart's content, but (for eg) a chat with a facebook friend gets imported back separately as "-5747564@chat.facebook.com". I can merge it into a contact but the next facebook chat doesn't get added to the previous one. So it's kind of orphaned.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Beijing
Hi,
I am wondering whether this app is designed to import social media conversations i.e. facebook, gmail and skype or only sms's?

I can happily import sms's to my heart's content, but (for eg) a chat with a facebook friend gets imported back separately as "-5747564@chat.facebook.com". I can merge it into a contact but the next facebook chat doesn't get added to the previous one. So it's kind of orphaned.
This app only interact with SMS, and the database is designed for SMS, referring to the fields in tables. I haven't tried if a mail address can work as a number. We can try, but I think it's not recommended and potential problems may exist.

Originally Posted by wwwjfy View Post
We can try, but I think it's not recommended and potential problems may exist.
Is there anything I can help you with?

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Beijing
Is there anything I can help you with?
I'll try that this weekend to see the possibility.