Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
At GigaOM, Alistair Croll explains what the Nokia Internet Tablet is all about -- positioning Nokia to be completely ready for the open, walkaround web*. It's not about selling more devices and making money now, but owning the market later.

Croll cites Nokia's Anssi Vanjoki, EVP of multimedia, as pointing to the overwhelming need outside of the U.S. for web access to be primarily handheld and not tied to a desk. (And not tied to a single carrier for one-person/one-phone telephony.)

Nokia sees that closed platforms cripple the ability to compete in the coming world. Hence its commitment to Linux (as contrasted to Apple's approach with the iPhone). And more critically that, basically, everyone will want to access the web from anywhere, at any time. Hence the computer that you walk around with had better be suited for the web (800 pixels wide) and light enough to carry everywhere (8 ounces or less).

This strategy explains such disparate events as the accelerated release cycle (three NIT's within 20+ months), the size- and price-discrepancy compared to the UMPC, and Nokia's support of the open-source community.

Nokia is taking the long view, Croll says, and when the walkaround web is firmly fixed in place, Nokia will be farther along on the learning curve making the devices we will all want. And be most firmly situated in the public's mind as the company that gets it.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What was really, really interesting for me to read was the following:
Not so in the rest of the world. Infonetics estimates that 47 percent of all mobile subscribers come from the Asia Pacific region, 36 percent from Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and only 9 percent from North America. Nokia alone will ship 400 million handsets this year, and most of those devices can surf the web. Geography, power consumption, and lack of wired infrastructure mean that much of the planet will see its first web page on a portable handset.
I wasnt aware of these figures.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I wasnt aware of these figures.
Really, who was? As Croll points out in the preceding sentence, we in North America tend to have a distorted sense of connectivity.

Boy, is that true!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Really, who was? As Croll points out in the preceding sentence, we in North America tend to have a distorted sense of connectivity.
I'm from Europe

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'm from Europe
And how better to illustrate my point about American self-centeredness, what?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
And how better to illustrate my point about American self-centeredness, what?
Don't worry, we're used to it!

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Read the full article.
I like the "walkaround web" concept. I bought a N800 this summer (400 €, Aiii - how low can it go, now 229 $) and had a lot of fun using the internettablet on café & terraces all over Europe. Most cafés, gas stations, rail stations and hotels have free Wifi (Quality / Speed varying). Works even on the beach.
Early October I had even more fun in the US, showing off my N800 in coffee shops, hotels (video at breakfast) and -in DC - almost everywhere. I am sure I saw a bloke trying to hide his Apple Iphone in one of those huge coffee cups you have over there. He was very amazed to see the N800 perform that good and agreed: The screen of the IPhone is (too) small and the browser can't compete.
Watching EuroNews (...Dollar is now on a all-time low etc. ...) with my N800 on the Mall in DC, hooked up to Smithsonian Public Wifi was fun ! (Tried the White House, but no WIFI and suddenly a lot of big black SUVs with privacy glass closing in).
The USA hotels provide everywhere (even Raleigh, NC) excellent and fast (free) Wifi (CourtYard, Hampton, Comfort Inn). Good for listening to Dutch internet radio without any problems. Calling to the NL and within the US of A with Skype from an Alexandria terrace alongside the Potomac during lunchtime (28/82 degs, sunny) for 2 cts/min makes your day!

Fly, Drive, Walk and Talk Around Concept. Love it.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
[
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Don't worry,
we're used to it!
Thanks. But I Believe we are about to 'wake up' with the start of Sprint's WiMax.

Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
The screen of the IPhone is (too) small and the browser can't compete.
So is the browser of the N800 that much better than the one in the 770?

In my experience the 770 built-in browser is the worst part of the IT.
I don't know whether Nokia or the makers of Opera are the ones to blame,
but the awful combination renders the IT to an unusabe state for me.

Ray

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The N800 also has MicroB, of course. I've been using the browser for almost a year now, and it doesn't strike me as unusable.