Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
what about the lock-switch on the side?
when the device is active and you slide the lock-switch, the device locks.

but when its locked and you slide the switch, what happens?
i assumed it would unlock if you hold the switch down for a second or two.

thats how it works on my jet. push lock-button to lock, and hold pushed when locked to unlock.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Kaiserslautern - Germany
Hi all,

is there any possibility to lock the N900 with code, than the shortcut in the power menu?

thanks for help.

alex

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA, Maine
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
I don't understand all the request for a screen lock app. Why are people so lazy that they can't even use a switch which is already there for specific reason
Perhaps I have missed a set up option but the reason I would like to see the "slide2unlock" screen is when the phone rings it currently goes right to the answer screen and when retrieving the phone from my pocket, if not very careful, I will hit either "answer" or "ignore" and I never know for sure which one I have hit. If I had to first slide to unlock, this would not be an issue.

Ditto, happened to me yesterday and got in a lot of trouble for ignoring her majesty's call. Sheesh

Originally Posted by GaryHT627 View Post
Perhaps I have missed a set up option but the reason I would like to see the "slide2unlock" screen is when the phone rings it currently goes right to the answer screen and when retrieving the phone from my pocket, if not very careful, I will hit either "answer" or "ignore" and I never know for sure which one I have hit. If I had to first slide to unlock, this would not be an issue.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
there's a script/app that "hacks" the screen and forces it to lock *only* when someone is calling. this might be useful for those of you who accidentally touch it while taking it out of your phone.

as for the OP's request I also second that. I'm looking for an app or script that will lock the n900 when i close the keyboard. and please don't tell me its not useful, it's all about preference - isn't that what differentiates the n900 from other phones? the ability to tweak and customize as "I" see fit. How ironic that the n900 should be the phone to have an "I" in front of it's name.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
there's a script/app that "hacks" the screen and forces it to lock *only* when someone is calling. this might be useful for those of you who accidentally touch it while taking it out of your phone.
This I want, but I can't find it. Any pointers to where it is??

/oxpo

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by oxpo View Post
This I want, but I can't find it. Any pointers to where it is??
http://maemo.org/packages/view/call-locker/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post

as for the OP's request I also second that. I'm looking for an app or script that will lock the n900 when i close the keyboard. and please don't tell me its not useful, it's all about preference - isn't that what differentiates the n900 from other phones? the ability to tweak and customize as "I" see fit. How ironic that the n900 should be the phone to have an "I" in front of it's name.
Hi,
you can use dbus-scripts to automatically lock the screen when closing the keyboard.

for example, the script to lock the screen (/home/user/lock_screen.sh):

Code:
#!/bin/bash
SLIDE_PATH=/sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/slide/state
read SLIDE_STATE < $SLIDE_PATH;

if [ "$SLIDE_STATE" == "closed" ]; then
  run-standalone.sh dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_tklock_mode_change string:"locked"
fi
dbus-script event:
/home/user/lock_screen.sh * * org.freedesktop.Hal.Device Condition ButtonPressed cover

Sadly, you can not use the slide button anymore (on the right side of your device)
to unlock the screen while keyboard is closed, as both
(the keyboard and the slide button) emit the same dbus signals.

But pushing the power button and slide2unlock still works.

nicolai

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
@nicolai - what do i do with that code? i dont know what d-bus is...do i need an app or do i run that in DCE widget or....

thanks

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
There is an applications called dbus-scripts. A tool to automatically
run some scripts on some dbus-events.
Here is another thread.http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48132
and a wiki page http://wiki.maemo.org/DbusScripts

Beware, it is from extras-devel.
There is also a gui programm dbus-script-settings (which doesnt work for me!).

Look at the wiki page, this should make clear how to use the
script from my previous post.

nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post: