Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I wanted to somehow make use of the N900's IR port. The irreco UI is still cruelsome and unusable. Now, RĉMote is out, trying to be better:

Package currently waiting to enter Extras-Testing: http://maemo.org/packages/view/raemote/

Demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ig6YJ8nh4

Currently, only the Apple Remote is supported, but the code is ready for additional remotes. All that's needed is an image file, a list of rectangles for "hotspots" and highlight images for each button. The files required for the Apple Remote are in /opt/raemote/apple/. If anyone is interested in creating additional remotes, I can give some details on how to do this.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Awesome, now I can have fun with my dad's iPod while it's in the dock in our living room

thp, you got a .deb that I can download or you can email me? The app manager still can't find the package.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
thp, you got a .deb that I can download or you can email me? The app manager still can't find the package.
I guess you could download the .deb file from here?
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...l/raemote/1.0/

Hi!

While using that ae combination letter looks cool, I dont't think it's very practical, since most people can't easilly search for example these forums for the name of this app.

But maybe it is cool enough to outweigh the downside...

The Following User Says Thank You to mannakiosk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Houston, Texas
how do you use this?

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by thp View Post
I wanted to somehow make use of the N900's IR port.
Currently, only the Apple Remote is supported, but the code is ready for additional remotes. All that's needed is an image file, a list of rectangles for "hotspots" and highlight images for each button. The files required for the Apple Remote are in /opt/raemote/apple/. If anyone is interested in creating additional remotes, I can give some details on how to do this.
Ok, here I am. I volunteer to do a Windows MCE remote - because that's the project I wanted to start anyway! (But that was at the back of my project queue, first multi-DSLR shutter, then auto-recaller...)
However, I'm not sure if these things still fit the widget class or if it wouldn't be better to have an app.
And yes, the name is creative, but unpractical. Also, in terms of midterm attractivity, it might be better to rename it as "meemote" or so

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
MCE remotes run Philips RC6 standard (non standard 36kHz carrier frequency); I wonder if the N900 can cover that?

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_IR#Standards
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by kingzeus View Post
how do you use this?
Install it, point your N900's infrared port towards an Apple product with infrared port and touch the buttons on the widget to send IR signals.

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Ok, here I am. I volunteer to do a Windows MCE remote - because that's the project I wanted to start anyway! (But that was at the back of my project queue, first multi-DSLR shutter, then auto-recaller...)
However, I'm not sure if these things still fit the widget class or if it wouldn't be better to have an app.
Ok, some basic instructions to get going:
  • Download the IR code file from www.lirc.org/remotes/ and save it as "codes"
  • Create a background image to be used as UI (save as bg.png)
  • For each button, create a rectangle line in the "rects" file (see below)
  • For each button, create an overlay as <buttonname>.png that highlights the button
  • Save the remote name (has to be the same as in the "codes" file) in the "name" file

Now, for the rectangles, the format is simple: {buttonname} {x1} {y1} {x2} {y2}

The {buttonname} should be a valid button (IR code) in the "codes" file.

The upper left corner of the button is (x1,y1) and the lower right corner of the button is (x2,y2). You can have multiple rects for each button to create better regions for the remote.

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
And yes, the name is creative, but unpractical. Also, in terms of midterm attractivity, it might be better to rename it as "meemote" or so
We can rename the thread to Raemote (Moderators: Please rename this thread to "[ANNOUNCE] RaeMote for the N900 (Apple Infrared Remote)") No "MeeMote" or "ReeMote" (or MeeRote..). We are still living in Maemo times, and we can still rename the widget when MeeGo comes out.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: