Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Abstract:

Originally Posted by vkv.raju
Considering that Maemo already has got some traction with people all around the world, it might be a good idea to promote it further by selling Maemo Merchandise. This would also satisfy Maemo's fans/well-wishers in getting those t-shirt which they only currently dream of

The Maemo Merchandise Store (MMS) can start with the regular common stuff like T-shirts, tea/coffee mugs, water bottles, usb drives, caps, stickers, etc.

This can be done either by Nokia or by someone interested (or experienced in this stuff) from the community. Either may choose to do this for a reasonable profit too.

Throw in your votes if you think this is well-worth it. Enough votes might actually turn this into reality!
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...handise_store/

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-19 at 16:06.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There was a question in the other thread about the Maemo community being able or not to sell merchandise with the maemo.org logo. To put it simple and in practical terms, any initiative having the blessing of the community council is OK.

We are actually happy seeing this discussion happening!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I agree with this idea since it will generate interest and enthusiasm for Maemo! I know the owner of maemostore.com and can ask him to lend a hand!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigMaemo78 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
If we are talking about maemo.org merchandising then maemo.org is the right place.

I we are talking about Maemo / N900 merchandising then this is purely a Nokia activity.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Ok, as I posted in another thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=37) we need to get this moving. Maemo is involved with several events in the near future and there will be many more of course.

In addition to custom swag for particular events, we need a stock set of items to provide to interested parties at general events, not only at large-scale assemblies like Maemo Summit and FOSDEM but also local user groups-- something we really have not addressed much but definitely need to cultivate.

I want to be able to introduce Maemo and maemo.org to any open source oriented group I can reach, but I have nothing tangible to leave with them. The way I see it we need:
  • tee shirts, drinking mugs, ball caps, etc
  • low-cost trinkets (USB dongles, pens, branded postit pads, etc)
  • glossy flyers / whitepapers / etc

All of these require a consistency in design around branding.

As I see it, there is no problem with the community generating graphics as timsamoff, wazd, myself and others have done for prior events. The issue here is funding, and that is in Nokia's domain.

Our competitors have been engaged in user group meetups for some time so we're overdue... but we need "ammunition".

Per Quim's request, I will also be challenging the council on this subject. No matter what though, we need to move forward ASAP! I am already planning to meet with one user group and it would be so nice to have something tangible to leave them...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-27 at 18:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ok, as I posted in another thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=37) we need to get this moving. Maemo is involved with several events in the near future and there will be many more of course.

In addition to custom swag for particular events, we need a stock set of items to provide to interested parties at general events, not only at large-scale assemblies like Maemo Summit and FOSDEM but also local user groups-- something we really have not addressed much but definitely need to cultivate.

I want to be able to introduce Maemo and maemo.org to any open source oriented group I can reach, but I have nothing tangible to leave with them. The way I see it we need:
  • tee shirts and/or ball caps
  • low-cost trinkets (USB dongles, pens, branded postit pads, etc)
  • glossy flyers / whitepapers / etc

All of these require a consistency in design around branding.

As I see it, there is no problem with the community generating graphics as timsamoff, wazd, myself and others have done for prior events. The issue here is funding, and that is in Nokia's domain.

Our competitors have been engaged in user group meetups for some time so we're overdue... but we need "ammunition".

Per Quim's request, I will also be challenging the council on this subject. No matter what though, we need to move forward ASAP! I am already planning to meet with one user group and it would be so nice to have something tangible to leave them...
Assuming a sufficiently high quality logo was available, is there something wrong in printing our own tshirts via somewhere like cafe press?

Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
Assuming a sufficiently high quality logo was available, is there something wrong in printing our own tshirts via somewhere like cafe press?
As we've discussed a bit, I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all-- but a distinction needs to be drawn between that sort of ad-hoc activity and the community-seeding stuff. I for one can't afford to print up a batch of items to take to developer/enthusiast meetups...

Note that I broadened this topic. Subtopics can be described on the Brainstorm page.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-27 at 18:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
merchandise