Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
I use the search on Ovi Maps all the time as I need to go to various cities with my job. I like to have a look at where i'm staying, It works perfectly for me every time. If it doesn't work for you, count yourself unlucky, but please don't assume it's broken for everyone!
I never said or implied it doesn't work for anyone. I said it doesn't work ideally when the GPS function is something that is totally irrelevant.

Please explain how you got the idea it is broken for me. It is not broken. It works fine for the purpose you described. That is not the use I was asking about.

I thought that someone would describe using the mapping programs in a way similar to what I described.

I wasn't referring to your head, be the other one who didn't know how to use the search function in OVI Maps

OVI Maps is very good at this. There is no turn by turn on the N900, but to find streets anywhere is excellent.

I put in King William Street, and up can two alternatives within a fraction of a second. This was your exact problem according to your first post and I have no idea how a simpler solution can be found other than google maps (not on the N900 by default, and doesn't really work that good on the device inside the browser)

William street in King City, Canada and
William Street in Australia

Cool

Edit: The GPS is irrelevant, OVI maps work more or less exactly as google maps, only much better on the N900.

Last edited by bsving; 2010-10-09 at 08:52.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Google Maps is just the thing, if only they had a mobile version for Maemo... or install NITdroid ? :-)
Maemaps is a nice workaround for having google maps more fully on the N900, and it even lets you access street view (if the literature you are reading is contemporyj.

EDIT: Damnit, streetview stopped working because of obsolete flash player.

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-10-09 at 09:11.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Are you using Pr1.2?
Yes
have you downloaded the maps
No difference whether maps is already downloaded, or download on the fly. I've tried both BTW.

or do you have a good connection?
Connection is good enough to be downloading map on the fly, so should be good enough for mere search.

I tried search a couple of times today, and surprisingly it worked both times. Maybe Nokia have finally put in some extra servers to handle the load? Hopefully this isn't just a flash in the pan.

EDIT: unfortunately it seems to be shortlived, search still crapping out from time to time.

Last edited by kureyon; 2010-10-09 at 11:22.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I never said or implied it doesn't work for anyone. I said it doesn't work ideally when the GPS function is something that is totally irrelevant.

Please explain how you got the idea it is broken for me. It is not broken. It works fine for the purpose you described. That is not the use I was asking about.

I thought that someone would describe using the mapping programs in a way similar to what I described.
I didn't get the idea that it was broken for you at all! Don't be so touchy .. if you read the thread you would have seen that it was Kureyon who said the search function in ovi maps was broken. Maybe I should have quoted so that you would see who I was replying to, but I thought It was fairly obvious. Ok, it's your thread, but it is a discussion.

Last edited by Dancairo; 2010-10-09 at 12:42.

Ovi maps for n900 is rubbish. The search function doesn't work AT ALL when you're offline, even if you have all the relevant maps on the device and as for whether it even works online, that is a matter of luck as others have said.

Originally Posted by col37400 View Post
Ovi maps for n900 is rubbish. The search function doesn't work AT ALL when you're offline, even if you have all the relevant maps on the device and as for whether it even works online, that is a matter of luck as others have said.
It is essentially as Google maps, as I have tried to explain. Only that it works better in the N900 than google maps does. And you can preload the maps.

One trick though regarding the search function. It tries to find locations near you first. Often it is better to also include the country for more hits. For instance "King Williams street, Australia". That is the road, followed by a comma, followed by the country.

Last edited by bsving; 2010-10-09 at 15:39.

Also, it downloads data without telling you and for no apparent reason. Again, even if the relevant maps are preloaded. For this reason I have to deny the phone access to the data connection when abroad (to avoid expensive data roaming charges). The result of this is that Ovi Maps is constantly bringing up messages saying it can't connect. Very annoying. Truly an awful piece of half-baked software. It's actually a step backwards from the Maps application on my N95.

Oh and it doesn't let you save points of interest, either.