Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Sometimes we just don't get no respect.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a central place where we can praise the many remarkable threads that appear on this site regularly. The best threads are mostly harmonious, technically interesting and often display cooperation toward understanding some issue or solving some problem. Help make this a useful thread by pointing out interesting positive ongoing discussions that you see, and feel free to mention why you find them to be admirable.

BTW: I suggested that something like this be done to the powers that run this site a long time ago and was ignored, so I'm giving it a try myself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
BFS for the Power Kernel

This thread discusses a more experimental version of the Power Kernel, which is itself an alternate to the standard kernel that is the first building block that our N900s are based on. The purpose of this alternate is to make the kernel faster, smoother, more flexible or otherwise better than alternatives -- but this experimentation comes with risks.

The thread is fast-paced and I enjoy the technical expertise of the participants even when I don't understand what they are talking about. I followed the thread for a long time just for fun, but recently I installed the alternative files and found it relatively easy and seemingly helpful.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-06-10 at 01:32.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Thank you 9000, for immediately trying to thwart this project. If I were running things, I would simply delete your post; I think that people should have a sort of proprietary interest in some threads that have special purposes.
Well I just want to show you how this post would become when you have no control over posts under this thread.

I'd suugest you also create a Wiki here to summarize useful post here.

My 'thwarting' post deleted. Relax.

Broken MicroUSB idea: Creating a new connection

We have seen a tremendously long thread about broken USB port problems that happen all too often to N900 users, but it has been a long time since anyone has suggested anything new to solve them. This thread suggests a different approach, It might be too complicated, but the unending determination of N900 users to unearth the secret powers of the N900 is on display here.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
9000: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do a Wiki if this idea seems to be working.

Battery Tests, Homemade 3000mAh XL Battery & Q&A

Batteries can be expensive. Cheap batteries can be unreliable, and batteries that lie about their capacities are common. Wouldn't it be nice if we could hire a battery tester to give us the straight skinny about which batteries to buy for our N900s?

Actually, we don't have to hire someone . The above link takes you to a thread maintained by dr_frost_dk, the most highly visible and dilligent battery fanatic on this site. OK, you get to that humongous thread and don't want to read the whole thing? dr_frost_dk knows that. He systematically transfers the most useful information to the beginning of the thread, so you can find out the best batteries he has tested without risking carpal tunnel syndrome. His latest project is collecting reports on reliable battery merchants, so you have a better idea who you can trust when sending for batteries.

But the most important thing to remember about this thread? That would be, as he puts it: (GOTO POST #1!!!!!)