Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Could someone from the UK and someone from Germany give me a hint how much tax they had to pay for the tablet - if the invigorating ever arrives I would choose the cheapest option ;-) Thx
Assuming EU has the same everywhere 32GB + lastu case had 54.74$ tax to pay

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The tablet is rather snappy, but only after the update to 1.1.9.28. Pages in the browser load almost instantly, which should be showing More later.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I got my tablet on friday 9.10. @ 12.45. So dhl was pretty fast.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
And the Lastu case has also a small magnet, right?
Yes, it holds the cover on over the screen, or to the back when you're using it . My first Lastucase product, i quite like it!

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Definitely!!! I'd like to use them to organize data as well; one SD card for photos, one for coding / development work, one for music, one for games, etc. There's no need to get a crazy expensive high-capacity card when you can get a pile of cheap low-capacity cards and swap them as needed...
It's my hope and conceit that I'll be doing something with my tablet creative and valuable enough that I want to also keep a small library of memory cards. Not sure how I'll physically store my storage yet. My ad hoc method of tossing them in a mini-drawer with a teensy-weensy name written on them has reached the limit of search-and-retrievability. Hopefully, I'll figure that out before my Jolla arrives. Should be no problem . . .

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The tablet is rather snappy, but only after the update to 1.1.9.28. Pages in the browser load almost instantly, which should be showing More later.
thank you for your quick response your information will help me decide if I take the option to return the tablet or keep it.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

Interesting. For me it is the exact opposite: a removable medium is there to be removed. That is the whole point: to easily and constantly swap it in an out, as a means of transferring data from A to B. If you want big permanent storage, you should get big permanent storage, not rely on crutches like SD cards.

Which is why I never understood why some devices, including Nokia N900 and the Jolla phone, make it so difficult. At least the Jolla tablet makes it simpler (except not really).
They make it difficult to prevent accidental removal and memory corruption, that is why I dislike some computers like the Asus T100 or possibly the Jolla Tablet where the slot is uncovered and the card can be removed easily.

Even the old Nokia 808 offers a very useful USB on the go feature where Jolla can be accessed by FTP or SSH.

The purpose of removable storage is multiple: certainly removability but primarly expandabiliy and upgradablity.

Also not many companies offer user friendly options in fixed memory. And reliability remains to be seen (Samsung 16GB eMMC "sudden death syndrome" )

Apple and Nokia N9 with their 16GB models come to mind crippling memory options.

With an additional micro SD slot user has the freedom to make permanent storage limited in capacity and reliable:

http://www.cactus-tech.com/en/produc...-grade/microsd

or large and cheap: (128GB at 16 USD )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/128GB-16G-32...item4af0d6ee66

SD card is the standard removable media for daily insert / removal operations whiel Micro SD card is more practical for a situation of upgrade memory and forget.

It has originally been developed with mobile phones in mind.

Contact wear and risk of loss at smaller than stamp size form factor is higher.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
One question for those who already got their tablet:

Do you own a Jolla Phone and have tried to export / import via Backup all the accounts for example? Plus media files and or other?

Since i am traditionally lazy i definetly want to try that. (my mailserver is not in finland so i have always to tweak ports) plus all the calendars and so on. Would be convenient to import accounts.

Kiitos and Thanks

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by hemiwi View Post
(my mailserver is not in finland so i have always to tweak ports)
Sorry about another OT diversion but this bit intrigues me. Why is the server's location relevant?
(A genuine question.)

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund