Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Those who are worried about not being able to get harmattan or meego on the n900 - by the time you'd want to switch the software you'll also want to upgrade the hardware. The n900 is already behind the times and in 6-12 months will be more of a brick than it already is. the mobile phone platform is succinctly different from the desktop platform and people should not think about the two as parallel.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Is it that hard to understand that most people do not buy a new 600 Euro phone every year?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Is it that hard to understand that most people do not buy a new 600 Euro phone every year?
The hard to understand is why people are so inclined to jump to conclusions and throw around childish threats without ever bothering to READ and UNDERSTAND what an article is saying. Ditto for bloggers who have trouble interpreting a sentence in English that has less than 10 words.

Last edited by attila77; 2010-03-15 at 12:07.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Certianly not to me! I don't know if it works differently outisde the UK but here, most people get their phone as part of a contract. The standard is now 18 months but shops/networks are steadily pushing 24 months here to become the norm. Expecting a BRAND NEW phone to stay current for at least half of that period is far from unreasonable!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Attilla: I tend to agree with you, but then I read the following from someone on your side of the issue:

"Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. There are no big enhancement requests coming for the N900 so don't bother going on about it. You want it, you code it"

That is a message to people who bought the N900 that it's time for them to become developers because support for the N900 is going to disappear soon.

Do you agree with that message or not?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Despite all the detailed refutations (denials?), the main point here I think is pretty clear:

...some users are questioning the value that Nokia delivers through the N900, compared to other competitors or industry 'benchmarks' in this section of the market. (User's experience of the device, 3rd party support of the device, developers support, availability and activity of online marketplace, continued support thru OS iterations, etc, etc).

Obviously, many users overshoots their expectations of Nokia... and this is something that Nokia has to take some pride in that they've managed to do so(?). Although personally, I don't understand this, because Nokia hasn't had the track record to back this up in the past. But it's a worthy praise from the users, nonetheless.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
For those that say "this will be my last Nokia device" I have just one thing to say: good bye, you wont be missed here...

Nokia never showed intentions in updating N900 with Harmatan, now I know that it is because they knew that MeeGo was in the oven.

I bought this device because I thought as a good platform to develop for and I wanted to take a quick look. If you were a lousy consumer and didnt investigate enough what were the promises for device X and you still blame Nokia for it? Well, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Coming back to the topic, I will keep my N900 and I will most probably buy the next MeeGo device, unless something better comes along...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by troff76 View Post
Just found this on CNET Asia:

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/03/1...able-to-meego/

Thanks a lot Nokia!

You just killed your flagship device! What are you going to be selling for the rest of the year until your first MeeGo device is released?
did you even read the article?!?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

well, N900 wasn't a phone for those people at the first place...
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
the issue here is. Nokia knew a lot of people were paranoid and worried about it, but cnet got the info first???? o well what do you do. Nokia lol

o the iphone 2g, 3g, 3gs ipad are getting 4.0 firmware soon
you didn't read the article, did you?

o what about proper multitasking that has been rumored?
only device that has hw for it is 3gs.....
Google Custom Search

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76