Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@sixwheels, perhaps what you need is an app that simulates the 1980's key fob that beeps back when you whistle

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Couldn't sleep last night, so -- Lanterne 0.5.7 is now making its way up to extras-devel. The only new feature here is the option to start flashing the red LED after the Torch timer expires (as Sixwheeledbeast requested long, long ago). As always, please tell me if you find any bugs!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
and where is the feature you ABSOLUTELY promised to deliver asap that captures morse flashes via the camera, translates them to a text message and then pipes it to Orecchiette via a voice synthesiser? Huh?

Thanks for this app and your other efforts, really!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
So, if you get insomnia, Orecchiette will get it's daemon update soon? In this case, I'm not sure if I should wish you good sleep...

Seriously though, thanks for the update!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
So, if you get insomnia, Orecchiette will get it's daemon update soon?
Actually, I had started a much larger update to Lanterne a long time ago, but managed to get crossed up somewhere and introduced a bug that caused random segfaults when running the app. I'd spent days trying to track down the error... Anyway, I just got frustrated enough last night to go back to 0.5.6 and start over from the beginning. Thus, the update with the much delayed flashing feature. Long story short: it's much easier to chop out code when you're half-asleep than it is to create new code.

But I really should thank Pichlo for getting me off my behind and getting some work done. I suspect he's put more effort into daemonizing Orecchiette than I have at this point, so, I've been concentrating on other pasta products for now...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Loving the Lanterne update, however some quick comments.

Is it possible to not change the Radio button to Red?
It's a bit annoying having to adjust the setting back to white after it's expired.
Also pressing the screen switches the light on rather than cancelling the standby mode.

I was imagining the main button would change to "Cancel" or something to stop the Standby mode.

Just a thought

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Is it possible to not change the Radio button to Red?
It's a bit annoying having to adjust the setting back to white after it's expired.
Hmm. The radio button is changing to red, because I am literally changing the setting to red internally, and switching to Pulsed mode. The effect is exactly the same as if the user switched to red and hit "Pulsed".

Also pressing the screen switches the light on rather than cancelling the standby mode.
Ah, that's because that's what the behavior is right now if you're in Pulsed mode and hit the Torch On/Off button.

I was imagining the main button would change to "Cancel" or something to stop the Standby mode.
Well, to do that, I guess I'd have to create an actual honest-to-god "Standby" mode. I'll try and whip one together...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2014-03-31 at 19:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Ok, Lanterne 0.5.8 is now on the way up; this one features a Hildon Note that pops up when the torch timer completes (regardless of whether the red LED was set to flash). If the red LED was set to flashing, it will be stopped and the previous settings restored when the Hildon Note is closed. And yeah, I have to admit that this behavior makes more sense.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Lanterne works much more intuitively now.
Thanks.

The only icing on the cake feature would be an option to have White or Red standby flash.
Why white? I hear you ask, well if the timer expires and it's flashing white it will be more noticeable than red but use less battery than removing the standby timer. After all the main function of the standby timer is about conserving battery life.
No need to have a duty cycle option here, just the minimum operationial value to conserve power. I'd guess it's the minimum for the current red standby option?

How is the lock device on lens close feature going?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=140

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
The only icing on the cake feature would be an option to have White or Red standby flash.
Why white? I hear you ask, well if the timer expires and it's flashing white it will be more noticeable than red but use less battery than removing the standby timer. After all the main function of the standby timer is about conserving battery life.
Hmm. I've never really tried to calculate how fast the LEDs drain the battery. Or just how long between flashes you'd have to go to significantly reduce the power drain of the white LED...

No need to have a duty cycle option here, just the minimum operationial value to conserve power.
I'm only running the white LEDs at a single power level (at least in Torch mode), so the duty cycle is pretty much all that I can modify.

I'd guess it's the minimum for the current red standby option?
Actually, it's using the brightness level from the Preferences page. I suppose I could drop it to the minimum, but then, as you say, the point here is to make it easier to find -- maybe I should force it to be at the maximum brightness?

How is the lock device on lens close feature going?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=140
Let me try and add that back in again. (I ended up cutting out most of the stuff I was fiddling on when I got frustrated with it last week...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
flashlight, lanterne, morse code, nokia n900, strobe light, torch