Active Topics

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
If you pair the above with Pali's BME replacement and CSSU'ish battery applet, you will even have working battery level indication during hostmode or hostmode with charging.
I have KP52 and CSSU-Thumb, could you please tell me what exactly I should install additionally?

The Following User Says Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Thats is, actually, very good question. For reasons unknown to me, BME replacement isn't even in cssu-devel repository, not to mention extras-devel. I just spend 10 minutes searching for current state of project, which is *hilarious*, considering how important this project is. And it was *only* 10 minutes, because i knew exactly what filenames I'm looking for. I think we need proper "repositorianisation" of it.

Anyway, here are debs:
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pal...e-replacement/

Topic with discussion about bme-replacement is here (ironically, no link to actual debs anywhere in this topic, AFAIK):
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90139

As for USB Mode, situation looked similar, but I've found that it appeared in repos, finally. Just search for "USB Mode" package and install it - you will get status menu applet to control hostmode/peripheral. Discussion is here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85658

Cheers,
/Estel

// Edit
It seems that BME Replacement have it's own wiki page (edit 2: I shouldn't be so surprised, from edits history it looks that I've written half of it ):
http://wiki.maemo.org/Bme_replacement

The problem about inability to calibrate is fixed already - at least, using latest debs from site mentioned earlier, it worksforme.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-04-08 at 14:59.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I've got an AF-AF USB 3.0 adapter (the only thing I didn't have, and there were no USB2.0 available), installed USB Mode and tried to connect external HDD in boost mode.

Neither of two external HDDs work (wrote something about timeout), with neither cables I tried both on hdd side and on phone side.

Flash drives work all right, as well as Logitech wireless mouse.

Any suggestions? I can return the adapter to seller, should I?

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-09 at 16:13.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by FlashInTheNight86 View Post
I've got an AF-AF USB 3.0 adapter (the only thing I didn't have, and there were no USB2.0 available), installed USB Mode and tried to connect external HDD in boost mode.

Neither of two external HDDs work (wrote something about timeout), with neither cables I tried both on hdd side and on phone side.

Flash drives work all right, as well as Logitech wireless mouse.

Any suggestions? I can return the adapter to seller, should I?
HDD use up way too much power. You should see a overcurrent notification from booston script, if you enabled it. Andway for HDD you'll inevitably need either a powered hub, or use hostmode-charging with Y-cable, which also powers the HDD.
[edit] with Y-cable you might need to power up the charger *immediately* *before* hitting "Vboost ON" in H-E-N. Also make sure you connect the *power* plug of Y-cable to charger, *not* the middle one that has two cables connected to it. I don't know about USB3-AF<->AF adapters, never seen one [edit]

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-04-09 at 18:14.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
with Y-cable you might need to power up the charger *immediately* *before* hitting "Vboost ON" in H-E-N.
Thanks a lot, that worked! About powered hub - will I have to do any tricks like this if I use it instead of Y-cable?

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-09 at 20:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
No, powered hubs are... Well, powered, transparently for host device. At least if they're not pushing current to uplink, which they shouldn't do.

BTW, if you have missed it - max current N900 can give to USB devices is ~200 mA, while "normal" USB specification says 500 mA as max (for 2.0). It should be quite easy to judge, what may take up more.

Completely unrelated to current, but if you start to get "hub times out" messages in dmesg (kernel messages log), for no obvious reason (ijn situations, where everything should "just work") - disconnect everything, modprobe -r g_file_storage, then modprobe g_file_storage again, and try from scratch. Of course, it isn't related to any external hub, those messages are about N900's internal hub and its state.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
With a powered USB hub, will I be able to use an external hdd together+wireless dongle for kb and mouse together with my N900, or it is better to use Y-cable for HDD+charging and bluetooth mouse+keyboard for input? Will I have to power the hub right before hitting vbus boost button, or anytime before?

And a little off-topic, but it's very related. If I get a call, and have a bluetooth headset paired and audio connected to external source (TV. for example), once I answer the call, will I hear the caller only on headset, or on TV as well? If the latter, can it be fixed so that sounds from call go to headset only? (I wouldn't ask this stupid question if I had a bluetooth headset to try)

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-10 at 11:50.

With a powered USB hub, will I be able to use an external hdd together+wireless dongle for kb and mouse together with my N900, or it is better to use Y-cable for HDD+charging and bluetooth mouse+keyboard for input? Will I have to power the hub right before hitting vbus boost button, or anytime before?
With powered hub, you may connect as much things as you want at the same time. Just like with a netbook that have one USB port, and you connect a hub to allow more things at the same time.

BTW, in case of using HD and many different other things at the same time, you would probably need powered hub even if using notebook/netbook/desktop, as even "regular" USB port gives up to 500 mA (which need to be enough for hub itself, HD, and all other stuff) - it could be too low. Also, most non-powered hubs limit outputs ports to 100 mA (100 mA reserved for hub, 400 mA split between [usually] 4 ports). Most 7 port hubs are, in fact, 2 hubs connected in serially (internally).

And a little off-topic, but it's very related. If I get a call, and have a bluetooth headset paired and audio connected to external source (TV. for example), once I answer the call, will I hear the caller only on headset, or on TV as well? If the latter, can it be fixed so that sounds from call go to headset only? (I wouldn't ask this stupid question if I had a bluetooth headset to try)
No freakin' idea, but I recall button at the status menu, that you can use (if have connected both bluetooth headphones and normal ones) to choose output. It would mean that using TV and bluetooth headset, you can have output redirected only to *one* of those sources, not two.

But I may be wrong about part of this, or even about everything. So, what about you test it yourself and tell us?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
No. With y-cable you also won't experience success story, if you power it (plug the y-plug into charger) before enabling vboost.

First, enable everything just like you do when powering from N900. Then, and only then, after connection is already established and everything works, plug the power and enable ''hostmode with charging'' on N900.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Managed to make it work comfortable with this hub, this cable and generic 1A USB adapter, combined with 1TB HDD, wireless mouse & keyboard, and TV for monitor. Now I have a full-featured mobile computer wherever and whenever I want.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-05-11 at 23:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host