Active Topics

Poll: What is your religion?
Poll Options
What is your religion?

Closed Thread
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
But I've also understood that the question of "Atheism" vs. "Religion" is something hugely different in the US compared to, e.g, northern Europe. Being an atheist in the US is apparently a big deal, something that people care about. Around here it's instead like, say, owning a grey-blue jacket. It's not something you think about very much, it's certainly not something you go preaching about, but if someone asks you will know what to answer.
i ones read something about god being seen as a close friend by christians in usa, while in most of europe he is seens as at best a distant trickster...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Everyone has a God-shaped hole in their lives. This hole needs to be filled with something. Most fill it with material things: alcohol, drugs, sex, intellectual pursuits. None of those quite fit, though, and we're left with an empty feeling. Only the Being for which the hole was designed can fill it properly.
i would say that hole is more parent-figure shaped then god-shaped.

we go some 15 years without having to take responsibility for our own actions, instead thats our parents duty.

but when the time comes for this to change, it can be a big jump. as such it can be mentally beneficial to have a kind of omnipresent parent that will always be there for guidance, comfort and the required corrections.

As to the 'Everyone has a God-shaped hole in their lives' argument. Unless that was meant as a joke, I say: Bollocks.

As for my God-Shaped hole... it's happily filled with something called a wife.. and a family... and a life.

If your wife isn't filling whatever hole in your life.. chances are you probably aren't filling the right hole(s) for her either
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
"Christian Buddhist" isn't on the list.

Nor is "anti-Islam", for that matter.

I'm a festivian. Festivus for the rest of us! lol

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Neither is "Frisbeetarian".

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post

Nor is "anti-Islam", for that matter.
Perhaps I should not be stirring this pot, but why should "Anti-Islam" be a religion?

Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same God. The God of Abraham. If it were to be added, souldn't it be "Anti-Judaism-Christian-Islam" or "Anti-Abrahamic"

I think what actually would fit better is "Anti-extremism" which would not single out entire religions. I personally think Christian extremism is just as if not more dangerous than Islamic extremism.

Can't we all just get along?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
If there's a God.. I'll die - and see what happens - if he doesn't want me; well - I don't wanna be part of his crew either. If there isn't.. I'll die; and have lived how I wanted.
This is exatly how I see it! Never heart it beeing expressed by someone else in the exact same words I like to explain it in. ;-)
Cheers!

Closed Thread

Tags
druid, eris, jedi, religion