Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's too broad a supposition.
Ahh, so everyone gets dropped thumbnails? Well if its unrelated to 'caching network issues' then i would think this would improve their image to fix the thumbnail issue. Gives a feeling of 'tread lightly on this thin ice'... and 'anything on this server might just disappear tomorrow not like we backup or anything'

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
Ahh, so everyone gets dropped thumbnails? Well if its unrelated to 'caching network issues' then i would think this would improve their image to fix the thumbnail issue. Gives a feeling of 'tread lightly on this thin ice'... and 'anything on this server might just disappear tomorrow not like we backup or anything'
I'm saying the interpretation of what was said was overly broad. I didn't see that Ferenc said EVERYTHING was fixed, as was alleged he did.

Heh ok so i guess we've established you can neither confirm nor deny the thumbnails dont appear. Progress was made, and i feel good about that... really. I'm feeling much better now... *Twitch* IGNORE THAT!

Didnt mean to press you, more of a generally directed question to detemine how widespread that issue was. I am not concerned with blaming, it was a question which you or others dont need to answer if you think such an empirical observation would show a bias.

My post was probably too near a flame about Steve jobs, hanging, and fema to be interpreted properly. The device is the best around for my daily use even with maemo.org as it is.

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-01-17 at 03:50.

lol... no biggie. If I noticed the thumbnail problem there would be no issue with me making an observation-- I just haven't seen it yet. I just don't expect there to be a relationship between that sort of issue and the more critical server defects. Anyway I think there's a general interpretation malfunction here so I'll just shut up now.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ahh, and I finally got my shiny new N810 in my hands today, thanks to Dan (thoughtfix).

But unfortunately, the repositories are giving me "no such file" errors, and even the temporary ones I added come up with connection refused (or something along those lines; I don't have it in front of me at the moment). And yes, I can web browse to most sites just fine -- except anything on maemo.org or nokia's tableteer site, which only come up but RARELY and more often just sit there doing the "connecting..." slider.

Somewhat frustrating, that, and the Windows software updater doesn't see anything new to update, even though I don't have .50-whatever it is.

Ah well, I'll try again in another day or so?

-Jennifer

Jennifer: You are not alone, I promoted the same issue this afternoon.

MSD

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Oh, and I can't see how bloggers move from the N810 to the Asus eee in anything other than immediate interest
Not in this instance, here is the whole piece: -

"I’m seriously so pissed off right now that I’m about ready to launch my N800 through the window. When the first beta OS2008 was released for the N800, Nokia knew full well that there would be alot of downloads, and yet they didn’t do a thing extra for their server capacity. I remember having to get the .bin file off a torrent that someone setup, it was so bad.

Nokia released the official update for OS2008 on the N800 a few days ago, and with the same experience. There were so many people trying to download the update that the servers got hosed, and once again, we turned to torrents.

What sucks is that the repositories are hosed, too now, and Nokia hasn’t done a damn thing about it. Nokia, pay attention. There is absolutely NO, I repeat N-O reason that ANY server should be hosed for 3 days. Period, end of story. If you can’t get your repositories back up so that we can enjoy applications on the new OS, then you should just shut the whole thing down. I’m dead serious.

I love my Tablet. I’ve personalized the cover, used it to blog on the go, and even started a blog about it. I want to be the first person to encourage someone else to buy one and enjoy the mobility. However, if even *I* am sooo pissed off at the piss-poor experience of updating that I’m willing to chunk this thing down the stairwell, perhaps you should perk up your ears. Users are pissed, Nokia. Canola2 is one of the most anticipated applications lately, and I’ve spent the better part of the morning attempting to update my repositories so that I can install it and find a newfound appreciation for my Tablet as a media player.

I’m really appalled, also, at the lack of communication from Nokia/Maemo about this. Why hasn’t there been an announcement on Maemo.org? Tableteer? ANYWHERE?

And while I’m ranting, I’d like to know what the crap happened to the great idea that *was* the developers discount program? As I recall, it was decided that to encourage development for the new OS on the N810 (and to encourage internet chatter about the new device) a lucky 500 individuals would be getting a hefty discount on the N810, so that they could easily snag one and get to work. Well, you know what, Nokia? There’s really nearly no point in doing this anymore, you’ve botched that so bad. First off, the N810 is out. Hell, it’s even out in your FLAGSHIP STORES. And yet those of us with the discount code can’t use it yet. What was the point?

I don’t buy that it had to do with inventory issues. 500 units is nothing. I don’t buy that it is supply issues, they’re on sale elsewhere. To properly handle that program, you should have setup a private store with exactly 500 units, for the 500 code-holders to get the FIRST 500 N810S OFF THE FACTORY LINE.

I’m *REALLY* disappointed in this whole launch, Nokia. What’s even MORE disappointing is the lack of communication. For shame, Nokia, for shame."

Canola will be available when I move this unit and purchase the Ipaq 210 Enterprise.

I was speaking generally. I thought the context of the discussion would show that. Sorry. My point was that for the most part bloggers will move their attention from device to device as new ones are released. Nature of the beast.

Of course there will be those who act out of anger. I would hope that's not the norm. I would also hope most bloggers are too professional to act so impulsively.

And some points of that article turned out to be incorrect assumptions (refer to Ferenc's public apology), which a responsible blogger would address with a follow-up. I don't know offhand if that was done here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have an EEE to play with now. How much have I posted in the last week? (Actually that's from being burnt out with troubleshooting stuff *everywhere* and much of it being redundant.)

Anyway, he thanked people for seeding the updates. Isn't third party distribution against Nokia's TOS? (part of why I had to go through an 18 hr download of OS2007HE from the horse's mouth)