Active Topics

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Russia,Moscow
Thanks for answers. Am I right I need Maep then?

And I meant tiles.

dwaradzyn,thanks for the effort. Just the only idea of using openGL for so smooth work deserves salutes!

Last edited by qwenjis; 2010-07-27 at 16:41.

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by qwenjis View Post
Am I right I need Maep then?
Maep is not needed. If you want to preload tiles for offline use you could use some tools for PC like JTileDownloader or OSMtiledownloader. I did not use any of those but they should do the job just fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
@dwaradzyn: Congratulations for winning the contest!

<kinda offtopic>

I would like to thank you for your votes for CloudGPS in Maemo Coding Competition. I'm working hard on next release.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Very promising program

Some stuff which would be nice:

Ability to add custom tile repositories, like with Mappero.

Some other way of storing the tiles locally: at the moment the tiles can use quite a lot of extra space because the minimum filesize in MyDocs is 64k and the filesize of the tiles can be as low as a 103 bytes. Some more info here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=168

Would it be possible to make some more efficient storing scheme which could be used by all the different mapping programs?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by magnunor View Post
Very promising program

Some stuff which would be nice:

Some other way of storing the tiles locally: at the moment the tiles can use quite a lot of extra space because the minimum filesize in MyDocs is 64k and the filesize of the tiles can be as low as a 103 bytes. Some more info here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=168

Would it be possible to make some more efficient storing scheme which could be used by all the different mapping programs?
What about a loopback image or maybe sqlite?

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
What about a loopback image or maybe sqlite?
Loopback image is a good workaround for advanced users. But I do not see it as an final solution.

Currently in version 0.3 (which I plan to release next week, there are still few bugs to iron out) the area which CloudGPS preloads can be up to a hundred tiles. And it performs quite well on this (100 tiles can be loaded in about a second from local FAT storage). This is huge improvement over 0.2.1 release in which max 15 tiles were handled at a time.

An alternative storage is not yet planned for current roadmap (see first post). But the amount of wasted space on FAT is like 95% so I think I will have to address this at some point in future. Sqllite seems very reasonbale option.

For a while I was thinking that CloudGPS should have its own optimised repository. Tiles could be stored in PVRTC format which could greatly improve tile loading and rendering performance in OpenGL. But when I tested it I was very disapointed in compression artifacts PRVTC does to tiles (especially text on tiles). So the final decision is to support one tile repository shared among tile apps on N900. I do not promise CloudGPS will be the first one to support sqlite repository but I can say that it will surely support it if others switch to sqllite.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Yes, it will be there in 0.4 release.

I hope so. See my previous post.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kiev, UA
dziękuję kolego! Program ma wielki potencjał!

pozdrowienia z Ukrainy

The Following User Says Thank You to masloff For This Useful Post:
I'm going for vacation for two weeks tomorrow and I have pushed latest developement snapshot to extras-devel. I have to admit that this 0.2.9 version is still buggy - I did not manage to iron all critical bugs before the release.

Starting from last friday I had some very extraordinary bad luck. Firstly two mouses and touchpad just failed all of a sudden. Then there were severe stability problems with my main dev laptop. A lot of strange things was happening. Under linux I had many power and USB related warning messages. Then I had to print some tickets and my printer failed. Today I have finally found the root cause of all this mess. Very strong electromagnetic field is generated by my laptops damaged charger and it interferes with all electronic devices in the room. When I unplug it everything works as it should. And thats my excuse for the quality of this release

Now lets get to point. Version 0.2.9 has limited support for other tile sources. It should be capable of handling all XYZ_INV type sources that Mappero uses. Press N to cycle through tile sources (by default /opt/cloudgps/providers.ini has three sources: OpenStreetMap I, OpenStreetMap II and OpenCycleMap). Feel free to hack it and add more.

Version 0.2.9 also introduces portrait mode (tilt your N900 to change mode) and handles much larger amount of tiles at time. Tile transistions are broken in this version.

I'll be off for some time now so please report bugs here (or at cloudgps bug tracker). Any comments are welcome as always.

Edit: Forgot about one more detail: in 3D mode upper part (30%) of touchscreen is now used for rotation and the rest is used for panning.

Last edited by dwaradzyn; 2010-08-10 at 20:10.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:

Tags
best gps app