Hi everyone,

I've been using my beloved N9 as a USB modem to connect to internet on my Win7 laptop, and use the laptop as a WiFi hotspot.

I've been thinking of upgrading to Win10 but not quite sure if that'd be a good idea.

I have played around a little with Linux (Ubuntu & Fedora) but not very savvy with either. I'd like to know what's the best way to use my N9 to connect to internet and a WiFi hotspot (not adhoc).

Any and all thoughts, ideas will be very much appreciated.

In addition, I've also been thinking if there's be a way to use some kind of a wifi router to create an 'infrastructure' hotspot (as opposed to adhoc). Can I use N9 as a USB model and connect it to a wifi router? Has anyone tried it?

P.S.: I searched around TMO as well as 'the internet' but couldn't really find a whole lot of helpful stuff. I've actually been searching for months and pondering if I should start a thread. I finally succumbed into starting one...

Bump! Anyone...?

Originally Posted by youFailed View Post
https://openrepos.net/content/rzr/ad-hac
Thank you, but that's not quite what I am looking for. As the openrepos page mentioned, ad-hoc through cellular connection is blocked in US. Moreover, connecting Windows 8 and later versions to ad-hoc is a pain. What I am looking for is a way to use the N9 as a USB modem and then use the computer (Windows, Linux, etc.) as a wifi router.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, I am still looking...

Bump! Any help is greatly appreciated...

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
kernel-plus with nat iptables, internet routing script for linux (phone network -> usb network) and just attach to pc with dhcp enabled on phone dev settings, or manage static ip and set gateway to phone ip

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much coderus. I don't understand a lot of the terms, but I am more than willing to do research and learn. Can you please give me a couple more pointers/resources? I appreciate your help.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
As you mentioned you late used Linux there are easy ways.
The network-manager (both Gnome and KDE use it) allows you to set up your N9 as Internet connection. Just choose synchronize and connect when you plug it in.
You may have to google your APN. I can show you my configuration if you have problems.
The connection will be saved, so its just a click away if you plug your phone again.

To create a hotspot is equally easy.
For example: http://www.howtogeek.com/116409/how-...-access-point/
Under KDE you also just create a new connection Wireless, IP4 shared to other computers.

No console work necessary.
At least under KDE you can even choose to enable the two connections together so you hotspot is always just a click away.

The Following User Says Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Thank you Macros! I am looking into Chakra OS. Thank you for letting me know about KDE, looks great so far.

One note/question about setting up a hotspot though. I followed the link you referred me to, but it creates an ad-hoc network. Unfortunately, I am not looking ad-hoc because of the limitations on my Windows devices.

If I could connect to ad-hoc network, I'd have used the hotspot app on N9

Any idea how to create an 'infrastructure' wifi hotspot?

Any other suggestions/ideas regarding creating an 'infrastructure' hotspot instead of an ad-hoc hotstpot?