Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I tried the locale-gen method above-thanks! I read some posts about optifying the locale-archive that seemd to imply it may cause some problems, so I shyed away from that.

Edit: just rebooted and lost all the proper text from all system buttons and widgets. In the Settings menu under regional settings, my location has changed and anytime I select and save my proper location, the device reboots and doesn't keep my location (shows Algeria, the first item in the list). No languages are shown at all.

Fixed it by following this post (which basically just rebuilt my whole local-archive).
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52443&page=4

Perhaps I was missing something from my locale.gen file that was required? I am using both en_US and en_CA, so I had this in my file:

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_CA.UTF-8 UTF-8

However, on reboot all menus and system widgets have missing text, as described in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52443 (which is the thread that made me think purging locales wasn't as straight-forward as it was on the n810 )

Edit2:

Added en_US ISO-8859-1 and en_CA ISO-8859-1 to my locale.gen file and tried locale-gen again. This time it worked great (menus and widgets fine), and my locale-archive is only 1.5mb instead of 22mb.

Thanks!

Last edited by shawnjefferson; 2012-11-25 at 22:38.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Alternatively you could just copy /usr/lib/locale to /opt and symlink it back.
Yes, we can optify a lot of stuff, but moving it elsewhere does not get rid of it. As reinob said, the point of this thread is to achieve a clean device with not a byte on it over and above what is absolutely necessary.

Actually, even more important than getting rid of installed stuff is IMO getting rid of running stuff. My dream is to get to the point where all my running processes fit in memory and my swap is left unused.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
i had remove

The Following User Says Thank You to vipanh16 For This Useful Post:
Careful about removing /etc/rc?.d. I did apt-get upgrade last night and got an upgrade of hildon-desktop. The upgrade failed and I ended up having partially installed package. Too tired to investigate, I left it for the morning. To cut it short, the problem was that part of the post-inst process is updating the rc.d folders. Since I had them removed, this phase failed. I fixed it by recreating the folders (0 to 6 is enough, S is not used) and running apt-get upgrade again. I assume that fixing /usr/sbing/update-rc.d would have the same effect, but it is a bit late for me to try that now. Perhaps someone else can verify it works? The fix I had in mind was replacing exit 1 on line 141 with md "$etcd$1.d".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Thanks @pichlo,

I guess your hildon-desktop comes from CSSU, so CSSU team should fix that obsolete "feature".

You can edit update-rc.d and change "notreally=0" to "noreally=1". This way it will effectively become a nop

Would be nice to check what other packages are similarly broken!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I guess your hildon-desktop comes from CSSU
Yes

You can edit update-rc.d and change "notreally=0" to "noreally=1". This way it will effectively become a nop
Excellent, thanks!
Done. I was sure someone smarter than me would come up with a better solution

Would be nice to check what other packages are similarly broken!
I suppose we will find out sooner or later.

BTW I also deleted the rc.d folder again after the update with no visible impact.

[EDIT] Four months on, still no problems found.[/EDIT]

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-04-09 at 09:51.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Careful about removing /etc/rc?.d. I did apt-get upgrade last night and got an upgrade of hildon-desktop. The upgrade failed and I ended up having partially installed package. Too tired to investigate, I left it for the morning. To cut it short, the problem was that part of the post-inst process is updating the rc.d folders. Since I had them removed, this phase failed. I fixed it by recreating the folders (0 to 6 is enough, S is not used) and running apt-get upgrade again. I assume that fixing /usr/sbing/update-rc.d would have the same effect, but it is a bit late for me to try that now. Perhaps someone else can verify it works? The fix I had in mind was replacing exit 1 on line 141 with md "$etcd$1.d".
var/lib/dpkg/info search the app name (followed by .md5sum .postinst ,etc) , open terminal at that address and ''rm'' those files , in this way I fix the broken packages

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-04-06 at 18:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
var/lib/dpkg/info search the app name (followed by .md5sum .postinst ,etc) , open terminal at that address and ''rm'' those files , in this way I fix the broken packages
No, you haven't. You have deleted *whole and all* post/pre/ install/remove script for those packages, not only offending lines, related to broken "features". It mean, that many important things may not get executed, when they should. You have broken it even more.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I'm going through a list of all packages in my N900 and marking the ones I would like to remove (particularly all l10n packages for language/country combinations that I will never need), but I'm still in the "preparation phase" (just editing my list on the computer).
Any progress on removing the l10n packages, reinob?

Just thought I'd mention that I finally took the plunge and removed modest-home-applet which "autoremoved" a bunch of other things. I was a bit uncertain about some of them, but I went what the heck, off with them. The one I resisted for longest was rtcom-accounts-voip-support but I removed that one as well and haven't regretted. 3 days on and one reboot and everything (that I use) still works.

Other packages that went were:
  • osso-applet-languageregional
    This took with it the Language & Regional option in System/Settings. Acceptable if you've set your regional settings and do not ever intend to change them.
  • rtcom-messaging-ui-portrait
    This I believe was a side effect of removing modest-home-applet. From the name I assume it is used for reading SMS in portrait but as I never used that feature, I have not noticed any difference.
  • sharing-rtcom and pretty much everything with rtcom and/or sharing in the name combined with one of ovi, jabber, sip, gtalk, nokiachat, facebook... basically everything that I do not use.
    It seems kind of obvious what will be lost if you remove one of these. Good riddance as far as I am concerned.
  • Anything with gprs in the name. I know, I know, but I took the conscious choice to get rid of it. I use a pay-as-you-go SIM card and never ever use it for data (too expensive: I once blew £15 just by running apt-get update) and the mobile internet option from my service provider bothered me. Removing GPRS made that option (in internet connections) disappear.

I am sure there is more as I remove things from time to time but do not always keep the log. Perhaps I should get a full list of what is installed by default and compare it with my list

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-05-12 at 01:08. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: