Hello,

I recently observed that my N900 stoped vibrating when it receives a call or when it should normally.

I think that the piece of hardware that is doing the vibration is broken, but I want to be sure of it.

Could it be software related? I have a script that I use to test the vibration and when I execute it I get a pitching sound but no vibration.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_vibrator_pattern_activate string:PatternIncomingCall
The last software modification I did was to install the CSSU Stable update, nothing more.

If it is hardware related, is it hard to replace that part?

Thank you.

Last edited by Malakai; 2014-09-16 at 07:49. Reason: Solved

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
I had the same problem once. I searched here and found the suggestion to knock on the backcover or shake the phone. I disassembled the phone and found quite some piece of housedust that prevented the vibrator from rotating.

The Following User Says Thank You to Obsidian For This Useful Post:
The solution/workaround for me was a combination of both of your solutions. The high pitched noise is the vibrator trying to move, but something's in the way, so:

1. make it try to vibrate the whole time with the dbus command, and
2. knock it and shake it while it is trying to move.

Hope this solves it!

P.S.: I'm pretty sure I read this procedure somewhere in the forum, just don't ask me where... Bottom line: Credit is not mine!

The Following User Says Thank You to txus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Oh god without that vivrator your life is gonna be miserable like hell quick open up the device and and clean it dont force the vivrator via dbus its dedicate and you will get the same pleasure using it as you always had

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
@Obsidian and @txus

that worked....

While it was trying to vibrate I kicked the back of the N900 and it started vibrating again

Didn't thought of that as a solution, but thank you both.

Even if the problem is fixed I think that I should get a new phone, this one is kind of old (with some little problems) and slow... anyone knows when should the donations for the Neo900 stop? I would like to donate but I can't right now.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
Even if the problem is fixed I think that I should get a new phone, this one is kind of old (with some little problems) and slow... anyone knows when should the donations for the Neo900 stop? I would like to donate but I can't right now.
Quick reply...
Not sure when will the pre-orders/donations stop. Maybe, around December? Or February?
Originally Posted by neo900@IRC
<Xseba360> hey guys, is Neo900 still scheduled for Q4 this year?
<Nokiabot> Xseba360:it seems february
<DocScrutinizer05> Xseba360: no way we still manage it for Q4
<DocScrutinizer05> realistically we're at Q2/2015 meanwhile
<DocScrutinizer05> sorry our website is still quoting Q4/2014
<Nokiabot> @Doc you somewhere told estimated feb ?
<DocScrutinizer05> Nokiabot: I told there's no way to be any earlier than February, no matter what we do
<DocScrutinizer05> but that assumed basically zero time for proto_V3
<DocScrutinizer05> realistically proto_V3 will take us months
<DocScrutinizer05> 2 maybe
<DocScrutinizer05> maybe 3 or 4
<DocScrutinizer05> and I dunno if Nik's available time gets any better soon
Thank you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the info.

I think I could make a donation at the end of october, hope it will not be too late.

Tags
vibrate