Active Topics

and which one do i get, do i get rx-44 diablo or the os2008 se?

Originally Posted by HiTideBlastoise View Post
I downloaded some repositories, but some didn't even install and it's taking forever to update my repositories, what could be the problem?
A repository (repo) is a list of apps installable from that site, the more repos you install, the longer it will take to check for updates. Therefore, you should only install additional repos if they contain apps you want to use and remove the repo if you uninstall the apps it contains. And repos are like any other website, the owner may eventually shut it down, leaving you with a dead link that gets checked each update. Go to the "Tools - App Catalog" menu in App Manager to manage your repos and see which ones have errors. It is normal for a repo to occasionally have an error as the site may be temporarily unreachable, just watch for repos that always have an error so you can get rid of them.

If you install a testing or devel repo you might get unstable upgrades for packages and could have problems with your system or individual apps. Rare but it could happen, just a warning. Just don't run around installing lots of repos to expand the number of apps, you'll be safer if you only install a repo that contains an app you want and isn't in the default repos.

The three green links at http://asui.garage.maemo.org/download.html are common repos and are safe to install. Most everyone probably has extras-devel installed even though it is a testing repo. I only have the two nokia repos, extras, extras-devel, sdk/tools, community SSU and these two:

Code:
Mitrandir (tear-improvements)
    http://skriblovsky.net/maemo
    free
debfarm (xmms)
    http://p.quinput.eu/debfarm/
    chinook
    user
If your system won't boot or endlessly reboots then it is time to reflash. Always a good idea to backup to memory card before playing around in control panel and app manager.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
and which one do i get, do i get rx-44 diablo or the os2008 se?
RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I'm trying to get to my tools and then app catalog, but it says operation already in progress, and sorry for the so many questions, just learning to work with this platform

Thanks, I'm trying to get to my tools and then app catalog, but it says operation already in progress, and sorry for the so many questions, just learning to work with this platform
App Manager is in the process of updating the catalogs, let it sit for a few minutes. If that doesn't work then restart your tablet, open App Manager and go to menu before doing anything else. Closing App Manager while it is updating will leave its update process running so a reboot is required. Unless you know how to kill the update process.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Yeah no, like this is all new to me, I just wish there were instructions for everything ;-; it worked though, i'm gonna get the repos from that site.

all right, upon downloading some of the repos, on my n810, it said some catalogs unavailable is that common?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Not sure.

I would just disable those for now.

No sense deleting them right away.

The interesting thing is they were the ones I got from the site, do you think it could be possibly because I may not have the latest firmware?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I'm still pretty much a newbie myself even though I'm also pretty ancient here as well.

Whenever I have a question, I usually try to post a screenshot because I don't know what I'm really looking at.

Here's a screen grabber app if you don't have one already.
http://tuomas.kulve.fi/blogstuff/mae...rabber.install

Take a few screenshots of what is troubling you and upload them over at imageshack.us.