Active Topics

Hello,

Our company is planning to develop an social network for Maemo developers.

The goal of this social network is to share new ideas on the community and make relations between developers to help them to have faster time to market for applications.

What do you think about the idea ?
People interested to work with us to help the maemo community ?

Best regards,
Sakari N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to npkogroup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I think it's a great idea, but is there something wrong with using maemo.org as it is now? Perhaps there's something missing?

I'd like to hear your ideas on the social aspect in particular.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
maemo.org is good now but what we want to offer more :

- Collaborations utilities for Maemo developers (Groupware, Wiki, Subversion...) in one portal to offer an real collaboration tool.

- Offering services from other companies to the projects to help them to grove, for example if someone want to create a company from his idea and sell services ...

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Hi,

maemo.org has all of the things you are developing.
  • Maemo Talk: Forum/Collaboration/Direct messaging
  • Maemo Wiki: Wiki
  • Maemo Garage: Project Management/Subversion
  • Maemo mailing lists: Collaboration
  • Maemo Bugzilla: Bug reporting
  • Maemo Brainstorm: Feature requests
Sorry, but I don't get the point of "competing" with something that's already vibrant and active.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't do it -- this is open source software after all -- but there are already ~25,000 users on maemo.org, with almost 1,000 projects in Garage.

Tim

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
we need something like forum.nokia.com
for example
its wiki page is full of tutorials

Last edited by McLightning; 2009-09-16 at 15:19.

Hello everybody !

I know that the maemo community is very active but the first reason why we want to put this social network is to make relations between business people, the developers of maemo and commercial software creators.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
npkogroup, I have to agree with zerojay and timsamoff. Your motivation is admirable, but rather than splinter the community with such efforts, why not look at where you can plug in and offer additional services as an integral community member?

Also, can a moderator move this to Community? That will make it easier to engage (inflame?) Quim.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by McLightning View Post
we need something like forum.nokia.com
for example
its wiki page is full of tutorials
Off topic, but noted. Work is ongoing for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by npkogroup View Post
...the first reason why we want to put this social network is to make relations between business people, the developers of maemo and commercial software creators.
Ah, maemo.org is targeted more at open source developers and engaged users than it is at commercial developers, though they are certainly welcome here. Forum Nokia is the place designated for commercial developers.

I take it then that you have found Forum Nokia does not meet the needs of commercial Maemo developers. Is the number of commercial Maemo developers already so great that an alternative site is sustainable? Are commercial software developers from separate companies really so open to collaboration and sharing that a social networking site for them will work?

I'm interested to see what you develop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
From the sounds of the proposal, you have great ideas, but I think those ideas already exist. The Maemo.org site is open to anyone, even jerks like me. ;P

Do you propose a bridge between the Forum Nokia and Maemo groups? Because as I see it, there are already social network tools (twitter, facebook, etc...) that can be used for most of those things yoiu mentioned. And the venues for those conversations already exist. Many of these devs are also Forum Nokia guys.

But I'm just an end user, and unfamiliar with the software design process. Not sure how it will improve on what has already been built. Care to explain what the current system lacks you think should be implemented, or why a separate venue may be necessary?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: